I'm getting scammed.

VarinaM
Contributor
Contributor
In mid November, my husband and I saw an advertisement on Facebook for fluffy blankets with matching pillow shams. We liked the look so I ordered a set in King. By the end of December, no merchandise or acknowledgement from the seller so I try to contact the seller but my emails bounce back. I contact PayPal. On January 3rd, I get a package from an unknown party in Jamaica NY. It's a fluffy throw blanket with no packing slip. Late yesterday PP sends me an email with the tracking info from the seller. According to the tracing info my package was delivered on the 3rd. I call PPand speak with a live human. This afternoon, I get an email from PP that the seller agrees to give me a full refund if I foot the bill to send the merchandise I did receive to the seller in China. Sorry but the shipping is going to cost more than the throw is worth and this was the seller's mistake.
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VarinaM 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

VarinaM
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the quick reply but I think you missed the point. 1. I order a package that was to contain 3 items- 1 king sized blanket and 2 pillow shams valued by the seller at $73.00. I paid this through PayPal credit. 2. I received a much smaller blanket with no shams which I did not request and was able to find an identical one, same brand and color, online for $22.49. Not the same value and the seller's mistake for sending the wrong item. 3. The seller wants me to "return" the item to China at my expense for their mistake. 4. The package I received showed a return address on the mailing label of Jamaica NY and the tracking information from USPS says the package came to the postal service in San Bruno CA, probably warehouse. Don't get me wrong. If I had received what I ordered and then decided to return it, I would, of course pay for the return costs. But I didnt receive what I ordered. I dont feel that I should loose money from someone else's mistake.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VarinaM 

It doesn't matter if it was misdescribed or not, paypal states you have to return the items first before you get a refund.

I gave you the link to get help with those return costs.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DAB4

some credit cards won't allow a chargeback if charge was made out of the county.  These scammers seem to all be in China, even though the packages that contain the wrong items come from the states.  It's terrible!!

Login to Me Too

KCdoglove1234
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered two bottles of Jack Daniels Sinatra Edition back on August 22nd the seller kept emailing me telling me they would be sent soon. Today my father got a package from this address: <removed>! I think the scammer is doing this so they can tell PayPal they sent the product! Then when I talk to customer service at PayPal they said the seller shipped it! The seller is supposedly Chinese, I email him and he doesn't email back! Then I found another email address called <removed>! I looked up Retraluna with the Better Business Bureau, they gave them an F! So whoever is in Jamaica NY is scammer! Funny thing is my seller is supposedly in Austin Texas! And if I could, I like to meet this guy face to face! He goes by the name <removed>l, probably a made up name!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.