I got scammed, lost 10k. Please help me. Paypal and Apple Card seem to not want to.

adityakashyap
New Community Member

I was recently stupid enough to fall for a "work from home" scheme. Long story short, I made purchases for "office supplies" worth approx 10k. (they sent me a check to cover that cost, which later bounced of course).

I was in a full-on state of panic as that was literally all the money I had and I am a student in a foreign country. I contacted Paypal and Apple Card and tried to get them to block my payments and get my money back.

There were a total of 10 transactions so I opened a claim on all of them. Paypal ruled in my favor in 9/10 cases and hence I withdrew the cases from apple. I literally have it in writing saying "Paypal decided in my favor so you can withdraw my claim".

However, I got an email from Paypal today saying that since I disputed the transaction with my credit card company, they will not investigate or decide the 10th case and reopened my old cases. I had already withdrawn the cases with Apple Card though. So I called Paypal and Paypal said that I need to contact Apple even though I withdrew the case and tell them to reopen the case and look into it.

Now Apple is saying that they won't open the cases again because I withdrew them voluntarily.

So basically I am stuck. Paypal won't look into my case and neither will Apple. They both just want to shift the blame.

Paypal, you can see that it is a scam. I provided you 92 pages worth of evidence. I have withdrawn my cases with Apple, so why will you not give me my money back fair and square?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adityakashyap 

Never open cases with both cc and PayPal at the same time because this situation will happen. Do it one at a time. If one avenue of recourse is not working then try the other. I think you tied your own hands on this. You are to blame, tbh. I know we should not blame the victim and all...you didn't help it none.

You have to convince, one of these companies to review your cases. Pick one and stick with it until you get the ruling you want. Tell them you made an error out of the shock, horror and confusion of getting scammed.

I think PayPal ruled in your favor at first before knowing about the Apple card cases. There could be some gap in time during the investigation before the two companies are able to notify each other about the disputes.

Who said this? Odd wording.

"Paypal decided in my favor so you can withdraw my claim".

So go with PayPal and try to convince them to review your cases since you had an email from them today. Call customer service and explain you wanted both companies to look into the cases but didn't know you had to dispute with either PayPal or Apple Card and tell PayPal that you've closed the cases with Apple so they will be the only ones looking into the matter and the Apple won't touch it.

To contact customer service for assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Call early, during business hours, west coast time to try to get a US rep. 

Or contact via social media:

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (US): @AskPayPal 

Good luck!

Please don't say I am a student, or single mom, or disabled, or whatever. People got the money if it is something they want to do. Just stick to the facts of the cases. Wish I had $10k lying around to make it rain or reign. lol

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

adityakashyap
New Community Member

"We should not blame the victim"....but you did.

Anyhow, I said "Paypal decided in my favor so you can withdraw my claim" to Apple Card. 

Neither Apple Card nor Paypal asked if I was opening a claim with any other avenues. Of course, I was going to think that the more people I contact and tell this to, the better my chances would be but I now know that I was mistaken. I shall keep it in mind the next time I get scammed. It doesn't help that it is practically impossible to talk to an agent on PayPal.

However, thank you for responding. I am hoping to get Paypal to look into my case again. They already have all the evidence and I can provide proof that I have withdrawn my cases from Apple.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@adityakashyap 

They weren't in the position to ask because neither knew. And you never told. You didn't help the situation none by filing disputes everywhere in a panic. 

You're welcome, I hope you can get PayPal to look into your case and is successful. You may have to call more than once though until you find someone that can assist.

Again, all the best of luck and hope you can get your money back. Maybe consider filing report with police and ic3.gov and submitting that too.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.