I can't verify my account

Kahnoriginal
Contributor
Contributor

So due to my work - since I'm receiving payments from complete strangers - I don't want to use my real name on PayPal. Therefore when I created my account I used an alias. 

Now my problem is, that I have to verify my account but since I used an alias I cannot use my IDs or anything so it's limited. I've been trying to get help from the support but I only get automated messages and it's super-obnoxious. help

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
There's no way to solve this. You're even incurring in a violation of PayPal's acceptable use policy. Nobody should open a PayPal account with a fake name. No matters who your customers are, it's no dangerous they know your name, unless you're selling illegal items. Anyway, you're stuck right now, if you can't validate this account it will be permanently limited after some time. When this happens your funds will be held by PayPal for 180 days. Then they will release the money for withdrawal to a bank account, but it looks like you won't be able to transfer this balance because the information in your bank account must match the information in Paypal, so you probably will end up losing your money in case you have some in your account.
Login to Me Too

Kahnoriginal
Contributor
Contributor

So what do I do?

Should I make a new account and try to transfer my existing money to there or...?

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
If your account is temporary limited you won't be able to transfer funds to other account. My suggestion is to create a new account under your legal name and continue with your business. Forget this account. Not sure if you can get this stuck funds back to you after 180 days. How much is it?
Login to Me Too

Kahnoriginal
Contributor
Contributor

It's around 400 € which I need for college.

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
Well, if PayPal is asking for verification and you can't verify your account, your only choice is refund. Talk with the people who sent the money to you, let them know that you need to refund their payments and encourage them to send the money back to your new legal account. That's the only available choice, otherwise PayPal will limit your account and hold your balance for 180 days before releasing it for withdrawal IF ELIGIBLE!! I'm not sure about the eligibility criteria, so I think it's better to take the risk with your previous customers.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.