How do you report fraudulent sites using PayPal ??

casgti
Contributor
Contributor

Well... let say I purchased, and got **bleep**, you always think it is a secure page when you see PayPal, like ... they will not cheat on me if they accept PayPal ... so well... was not the case!!   I have opened a case, etc.

But the case is ... I take some time and searched on google to found a LOT of other pages selling the same product (fraudulent, because the price, text, images, conditions, etc are the same, just different template of the site), so I called PayPal, and they could not tell me how to report this, Crazy uh?

So far, product is a IMTV Projector, very nice one, they do not mention all pictures are from a XGIMI MOGO projector, but at 1/10th of the price, I purchased thinking it "could be" a white label version... who knows... at the end, it was fraudulent, and I could found the same product, at same price on many websites, take a look :
This is the one I got it from and received a piece of wood:  
  https://shopeeline.com/products/imtv-projector-1080p-handheld-cinema/  

Then I found all this others selling the same fraudulent projector (and lot of other things as well) 
https://rikeoxget.com/products/imtv-pro-1080p-android-tv-portable-projector/ 

https://kkaxi.com/products/imtv-projector-1080p-handheld-cinema-1 

https://tipetapeco.com/products/imtv-pro-1080p-android-tv-portable-projector/ 

https://howwayforsh.site/products/1080p-imtv-pro-portable-projector 
https://lampsoor.com/products/imtv-projector-1080p-cinema 

I put my hands on fire that all of this are fraud ... and it could be a lot more as well, I just found them searching on google.

I can't believe PayPal can't investigate on this and/or there are some report function/link in some place for this.

Thousand of people could be caught by this kind of websites right now, and some of them for sure, could not report, etc. 

They even sent you an email with the order confirmation, etc. everything looks legit ... UNTIL you get the "ACTUAL PRODUCT"....

So... all this sites are doing the same FRAUDULENT activity, and I dont find a way to report to PayPal.
And I think this hurts A LOT the reputation of paypal as being a safe way to detect a good site to make a purchase and use paypal for it.

I guess this people are doing hundred dollars around the globe with this.

So, if you work at PayPal and read this, please investigate and suspend the accounts / give all the people their money, and stop the cheaters with this websites.

IT could be A LOT more, but I found this ones in a 1 minute google search. They offer products at a very attractive price, accepting paypal makes people trust and purchase, then after 20 days... they got a piece of sh*t like I did, for example, instead of the incredible 1080P projector shown, you get a piece of wood with a plastic, nearly $0.10 value. So I think they know they will get chargebacks, but even if 1 on 100 does not chargeback, they still get enough money for what they sent anyway. Please act fast, so no more people get caught with this fraudulent network. 

Please @PayPal STOP this.
Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nimda 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

casgti
Contributor
Contributor

Hum, looks like images are not on the first post... here they are.

This is the product received... 

b44f2def-9d58-4ec0-a874-7be6126a66b3.jpg

This is the order summary received on email.

Anotación 2019-11-13 160933.jpg

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@casgti 

Chinese Web Sites OR on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat from China.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Saki18
Contributor
Contributor

Checked other sites that review scam sites. Same exact MO, I, as well as many others, received a magnifying glass for a cell phone. After reporting to paypal, the site I ordered from Onlyinsiston.site now mysteriously vanished. I found the actual product, the company is called XGIMI and the MSRP is around $560 USD. Looks like fairly new scam is I'm only seeing reports at most 1 month old. Facebook needs to step up because everyone is seeing these ads on facebook or instragram. 

Login to Me Too

peteysake08
Contributor
Contributor

I actually contacted XGIMI and they responded that they know of the scam and are trying diligently to stop the ads. however there are so many of them. I personally think its the same people doing it. Paypal needs to step it up as well

Login to Me Too

peteysake08
Contributor
Contributor

did you put a claim? if so did paypal refund your money?

Login to Me Too

casgti
Contributor
Contributor

Of course, I put a claim ( Case ID: PP-D-45759287 ), still waiting for resolution, should be in the next 5 or 7 days...
I have provided all this information on the claim as well, in a intend to stop this websites, but looks like Paypal is not doing anything, so I assume people is still purchasing products on this fraudulent websites.

Login to Me Too

peteysake08
Contributor
Contributor
I put a claim as well. Hopefully they do what's right
Login to Me Too

Saki18
Contributor
Contributor

I did put in a claim, paypal always listens to both sides, I am assuming the seller communicated that I was unhappy with the product not that they sent the wrong product because PP got back to me saying if I wanted a full refund I would have to send the product back. I called PP and explained to them that this was part of the scam, I estimated the cost of shipping with a tracking # ( a requirement) at around $30. They send a cheap piece of plastic hoping you wouldn't want to send it back and they get to keep all or part of what you paid initially. I also explained that the advertisement was for something else entirely and the actual cost was over $500 and that the seller never intended to send what was advertised. They said they would escalate and look into further as a scam and possibly disable his PP usage. I wrote my $40 off as gone but if I can shut down his operation, might be worth it. 

Login to Me Too

peteysake08
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sure we aren't the only ones with this issue. If they haven't caught on then I am surprised. Its all over the internet. I dont believe its multiple people doing the same scam. I think it one organization doing this under different guises. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.