How do I get a refund from PayPal?

roedj
Contributor
Contributor

In the middle of May 2021 I contracted with a lawn service to cut my lawn.When it came time to pay them using PayPal I mistakenly sent the $60 to the wrong email address. My fault. When I realized what I had done, I immediately sent the money to the correct email address. The lawn service provider is NOT part of this dispute.

I contacted PayPal and asked for my $60 back. It got denied by PayPal. I sent a second request with full details of my mistake and again asked for my money back. It was, once again denied.

I contacted the person I had mistakenly sent the money to and asked if they could help. They replied that they don't have any dealings with PayPal and, until I had sent this email to them, did not even know I had sent any money to them. They had not accepted the money and had no intention of doing so. I submitted this information to PayPal and asked for my money back or at least a $60 credit with PayPal. Case denied again - no surprise.

What else can I do? PayPal has my money and won't give it back. The unintended 'seller' doesn't want it either. PayPal has just grabbed my money and it's probably going nowhere except to PayPal's bottom line. Yes, I'm mad and frustrated and probably out of luck. Thank God I didn't send $10,000 to the wrong guy.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roedj 

Paypal can't refund a completed payment so..........

what does it say next to the transaction in your paypal account?

If its pending / unclaimed WITH a cancel option then cancel it.

If its pending / unclaimed withOUT a cancel option then it would time out 30 days post payment.

If its marked as SENT / PAYMENT OR COMPLETED come back for more advice.

If you do want more advice then state how you sent the funds ie friends/family OR goods/services.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

roedj
Contributor
Contributor

The money is noted as PAYMENT SENT. The unintended "provider-of-services' has no dealings with PayPal and has not accepted my money and has no intention of doing so. The $60 is in PayPal's coffers and is just going to sit there. I sent the money as GOODS OR SERVICES. The unintended recipient does not live in the USA - I don't know where he lives. He wants no part of this dispute - I don't blame him. Actually, he's not part of this dispute at all. This is between me and PayPal - a billion dollar company who's holding onto my $60. I'm definitely a David to their Goliath.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roedj 

Sorry but if its saying payment sent then it has successfully transferred to the email address you sent it to that is linked with a valid and open paypal account.

If the person you sent it to did NOT have a paypal account then it would not have transferred and would be showing as pending OR pending/unclaimed.

If they are in a country where they can't accept your payment then it would show as pending/unclaimed.

Are you sure you sent it as goods/services only SENT as opposed to PAYMENT OR COMPLETED normally means a friends/family payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DMJohnston1
Contributor
Contributor

If you haven't already, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. While this might not resolve anything, it will likely get a response from someone in PayPal, so at least you'll have more information to go on.

Login to Me Too

roedj
Contributor
Contributor

I've pretty much given up trying to get my $60 back. The unintended recipient hasn't 'accepted it' whatever that means but PayPal says the money has been sent. The unintended recipient has no and wants no dealings with PayPal. As I said in the OP. I'm just glad I didn't send a more substantial amount of money.

If anyone has any more ideas I'm all ears.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.