Help with Chargeback Scam

Sheri0082
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure how, but Ebay has a buyer with initials MM at an address in Fontana, CA. Googled her and name matches address. PayPal has her in their system as initials KF with the Fontana address and a San Bernadito, CA phone number. When google searching KF, she lives in San Bernadito.

Buyer MM in Fontana bought something from me on Ebay, and asked for a return. Checked "not as described" as reasoning and in message block said "I want my refund". No reason or photo stating why. I emailed her to ask what was incorrect. No response. So I sent her a return shipping label through Ebay's resolution center and she never returned it. That was a couple months ago. Late July Ebay closed the case in my favor since the item was never returned. 

Paypal has now taken that money that I was released back to from Ebay, AND charged me an extra $20 for a chargeback but they did this only immediately after their CSR said she was releasing the funds and I saw she had. But I logged out and back in later to find it already removed again along with the $20. 

Curious why I am being the one with my money on hold while their customer they allowed to make an account with false info and not verified, while that persons card company makes a decision with a 75 day possible wait? I did my part.  Paid their service fees. Paid Ebay's fees. Paid for the unused return shipping label in the time allotted. Never got the item and waited the 31 days for it to be sent back etc. I did my part and am upset that Paypal seems to not even take responsibility for their own oversight that should have been EASILY verifiable. I mean, I did it in about 2 minutes with 2 Google searches.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sheri0082 

So let me see if I got this straight: you won the eBay case, funds released to you but then PayPal put it back on hold due to a chargeback case + deducted $20 chargeback fee. I get this part.

"But I logged out and back in later to find it already removed again along with the $20."

Then you log off and logged back on to find chargeback amount and $20 chargeback fee was released back into your account? Or was deducted again?

Looks like the buyer graduated to filing a dispute through their financial institution which is a different animal from a PayPal dispute. The financial institution decides the case, not PayPal, hence the longer drawn out process. You'll be asked to provide whatever information you have about the case, what transpired. If your transaction meet the basic and additional requirements of seller protection, PayPal may cover you. Read Seller Protection and Refunds, Reversals & Chargebacks and here for more details about chargebacks and how you are protected or not. If the financial institution finds in favor of the buyer, then you may be held liable unless PayPal covers you under seller protection. And PayPal makes the sole decision to cover you or not though.

Buyer can file with eBay, if that fails, file with PayPal or skip PayPal and go for the jugular, disputing with their financial institution. And since you received payment via PayPal, a chargeback dispute is filed and a lot of information is withheld from you so you just got to tell your side of the story. Essentially a chargeback or bank reversal hits PayPal's merchant account and our accounts are "sub accounts" so we are held liable if payment is later reversed on bank's decision unless protected by PayPal seller protection.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sheri0082
Contributor
Contributor
I meant Ebay decided in my favor and told me to call Paypal to get my funds released to me. When I called, the lady finally after some back and forth, told me she released the funds to me and all was fine. I looked, it WAS there. I said thanks and that was that. Logged out, washed some dishes and logged back in for something else to find, not even 30 minutes later, they had taken that money back off and took the extra 20. Which was never mentioned in any emails or that call with that girl just 30 min earlier. And I know the buyers card company is making a decision on their claim, but what does that have to do with me? The person I sold to isnt even the same person paypal has in their system. Plus I did what I am obligated to do as a seller. I have nothing to do with paypal's customer's card company, because I didn't even have anything to do with their customer who is a totally different person than who I sold to on ebay. Main point is it isnt my fault paypal allowed this other person to use someone elses address and card yet put their name and number as the contact info. Horrible oversight and mistake on PayPal not me
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sheri0082 

I see.

Whoever paid you is who you are liable to. Did PayPal give you a reason for chargeback? Unauthorized payment? Not as Described? You really should read the links I posted, it will explain how you are liable. The way you think it works is not how it works. Know how you can win and know how you can lose.

It's always best to make sure that PayPal shipping address is the same as eBay upon receiving payment and if they are different, ask questions, check feedback history and really decide to continue with sale or not and cancel as "problem with buyer's address" on eBay/refund if you do not feel comfortable. I sell on another platform that can have different addresses and I would refund with the quickness if the addresses aren't the same there and on PayPal because you really don't know who's on the other end. I can do bad by myself, don't need anyone's help. 

If the reason is Not As Described, you won't be covered, that's policy. With Unauthorized Payment, you may have a fight chance. But again, read the materials I linked. By the way, when the buyer is returning the item to you, the cost of the eBay return label will be charged to your PayPal account once it's scanned by the carrier. Since they didn't return the item, the label wasn't used so you shouldn't have been charged.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Sheri0082
Contributor
Contributor
So Paypal isn't the type of company to take ownership for not verifying a person's info is correct that they allow to create an account that deals with money? If they can't even do that and expect the sellers to do it for them, maybe they should lower their rate to about 1% or .05% even. Thought they made money transactions online safe and is why we use them...
Login to Me Too

Sheri0082
Contributor
Contributor
Oh and they gave me BOTH unauthorized and not as described reasonings via email on the same day which is partially why the Call center person I talked to initially released the payment back to me before they took it back plus 20
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.