Hacked account

Teresa522
New Community Member

My account got hacked. My daughter noticed a paypal transfer of $1000 on her bank activity that she did not authorized and checked her paypal but no trace of the transaction on it. She called the bank and they issued a "stop payment". Later on she remembered that we had created a paypal in 2008 to pay for netflix but did not use the account anymore, we forgot the password and that the account even existed. The email linked to it is also not being used due to high scam activity. We recovered the password and found that someone used it and tried to transfer $1000 to it and they also added a phone number to the account. We had both our bank accounts linked to it. I think they were waiting for the transfer to go through and they were going to take that money somehow. I am glad we caught it and paypal is investigating it. I want to close this account but I am not sure what is going to happen with that pending transaction. Should I wait for them to resolve it? What if they get a hold of the account again and take the money?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

goofygooberyea
Contributor
Contributor

The exact same thing happened to me- including trying to take out 1,000$ from my bank, and adding a weird number to my account 😞 The language settings were also changed on my account to spanish.

Makes me wonder how many people were hacked. Best of luck 

Login to Me Too

Ugh4
Contributor
Contributor
Same exact thing happened to me, and I can’t figure out how to get in contact with PayPal. I can’t dispute online.
Login to Me Too

goofygooberyea
Contributor
Contributor

I'm with you there- our best bet is to call our banks when they open and have them put in a dispute themselves..paypal wouldn't let me file a dispute either and it's extremely frustrating. Here's to hoping we can resolve this quickly!

Login to Me Too

Ugh4
Contributor
Contributor
I got in contact with the bank but they say I need to wait to hear back from them in 2 business days. Buttt it’s a holiday weekend. I wish PayPal had a way to stop payment or atleast speak with someone.
Login to Me Too

goofygooberyea
Contributor
Contributor

oh noooo I completely forgot about the holiday weekend 😞 this is a nightmare...paypal really needs to step up their customer service. 

I'll come back to this topic in the morning after talking to my bank and seeing if they tell me anything different, good luck. 

Login to Me Too

Ugh4
Contributor
Contributor
I will as well. I have an appointment at 9am with bank. 🤞 Hopefully it gets resolved quick. I have kids. I need my $...
Login to Me Too

goofygooberyea
Contributor
Contributor

Soooo after calling my bank this morning, they basically told me that paypal had to resolve it and they couldn't do anything! They advised me to wait for the money to show up in my paypal then transfer it back over 🙂 🙂 Which idk if it will because I only had 400ish dollars in my account. If it does transfer over, I'm super worried that the hacker(s) will get to it before I do. On Tuesday I'm going to try again with my bank if I haven't seen any improvement, and beg them to try and do a dispute.

I also tried getting in contact with paypal support chat, but with the pandemic they're short staffed so who knows when I'll hear back. I also contacted their twitter and facebook but to no avail. I hope you had better luck than me! I can't believe paypal is this broken. The hackers probably planned this with the holiday weekend and ugh...I'm at a loss for words.

Login to Me Too

Ugh4
Contributor
Contributor
I have had no luck getting in contact with PayPal. Horrible. I went to my bank this morning to file the dispute. They say there fraud department will investigate and get back to me in 3 business days. So hopefully by next Friday. 🤦‍♀️ This is the worst. Luckily my bank says not to worry about contacting PayPal because there investigation will be contact with them. You should probably try contacting your bank again. Hopefully you get a different rep that can better assist you.
Login to Me Too

Melody22
Contributor
Contributor
It happened to me too they transferred $1000 from my bank and made a payment to some account with my PayPal balance.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.