Fraudulent payment from my account

Kordo1
New Community Member

Hi all,

Yesterday I have received a notification on my email that a transaction of over £500 has been made to an unknown account. Shortly afterwards, i have received a text message from Paypal asking me to authorise the transaction. The text message asked me to confirm by pressing 1 or reject by pressing 2. After I have entered 2 and confirmed this as an unauthorised transaction, an automatic claim has been made. I have also received a text message notifying me of "unusual login location" which prompted me to change my password. 

A few hours later, an email was sent to me specifying that the case has been reviewed and "we've determined there was no unauthorised use" therefore my claim has been rejected. Now I am unable to proceed with this claim as it has been declined. I have contacted PayPal customer service desk and the individual said they are unable to help because apparently the claim has been "authorised" and suggested to contact my bank directly. My bank said they are unable to help since its a PayPal transaction and it must be refunded directly through this service. 

The amount which was fraudulently transacted out of my account greatly exceeds any of my previous PayPal payments and i have never had any sort of interactions with this account before. This, combined with me specifying that I did NOT authorise the transaction and unusual login address somehow did not raise any red flags apparently. 

Now I don't really know what to do. I have emailed  PayPal yesterday and also contacted the customer service desk again today but I have not managed to get in touch to anyone for the last 6 hours... 

At this moment in time, I am unable to get my money back through my bank or the PayPal, unable to get in immediate touch with the service desk, and unable to file another claim for this transaction. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

WarrenPink
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello @Kordo1, sorry for the delayed response.

I understand thay this is indeed very untimely and inconvenient. I don't know exactly what happen why the claim was denied. There's a lot of possible reasons why it was denied. For unauthorized claim, one of the first thing they investigate is the location and device used to make the transaction. I wish I could go more into details. PayPal Purchase Protection is applicable within 180 days and we can still reinvestigate this. However, we ask your patience as we have limited people on the phone. Onve we're back in full force, will be glad to check this out for you. Hope this helps! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.