Dispute/Resolution centre not letting me choose what type of issue I have.

FMez
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Long story short I have recently been scammed. I bought an item from eBay but the seller contacted me saying there is some sort of problem with eBay and instead asked me to send the money directly using PayPal, and that I would receive my item soon. I never received my item and as I tried to message the seller on eBay I discovered that they had removed their account. I have read the PayPal help section and followed the steps under the "Items not received or a potential fraudulent seller" Category which tells me to report the problem at the resolution centre and when asked "What type of issue would you like to report?" to select "I didn't receive an item I purchased or the item I received was significantly not as described" but I don't have that option. The only option I have available is "I want to report unauthorised activity". My Transaction was authorised, I did send the money but it was for an item that I have not and will not receive as it was a scam but I don't have the option to report that. Any help would be appreciated. Apologies for any bad grammar, it's late.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FMez 

Oh no! 😞 

If you're only getting the unauthorized payment option then I suspect you paid as friends and family. That is why it was so easy for the seller to disappear because there is no purchase protection and no refund unless the recipient at their own free will issued you a refund.

Since you didn't pay through eBay the seller can just withdraw their listings and close the eBay account. 

Always pay via eBay if not cancel the order or send payment through PayPal as goods and services. 

Does the status of the payment say "Money Sent"? Then its a good chance its a friends and family payment which is considered a gift payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FMez 

Oh no! 😞 

If you're only getting the unauthorized payment option then I suspect you paid as friends and family. That is why it was so easy for the seller to disappear because there is no purchase protection and no refund unless the recipient at their own free will issued you a refund.

Since you didn't pay through eBay the seller can just withdraw their listings and close the eBay account. 

Always pay via eBay if not cancel the order or send payment through PayPal as goods and services. 

Does the status of the payment say "Money Sent"? Then its a good chance its a friends and family payment which is considered a gift payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FMez
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I did pay as "family and friends" because the seller asked me to so they didn't "have to pay the PayPal fees", and I blindly believed them...which is my bad I suppose for not being cautious enough, but this is the first time this has ever happened to me so I didn't expect anything like this. You live and you learn. Does this mean that there is no way I will be able to get my money back? The "seller" obviously isn't going to give it back.

Login to Me Too

ror76
Contributor
Contributor

Were you able to get any money back? I did the same thing, seller claims they didn't get the money. 

Login to Me Too

FMez
Contributor
Contributor
@ror76 Unfortunately not. I did learn a valuable lesson though, don't send money as a "family and friends" payment if you don't personally know the recipient. Be cautious.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.