Disbute, chargeback and scam.

VonJunga
New Community Member

So. Foolish victim of another chargeback scam. Few weeks ago i decided to sell digital goods " ingame gold " of a game named Silkroad Online. I got the money i gave the gold, few hours later i get email abour disbute. In such a trades there is no log files for me to access or a reciept to recieve from the trade. All there is are few screen shots which are not that much of a proof. I understand that such sales over paypal are at my own risk, but why is it so easy for these type of scammers to pull of " unautohrized access chargeback ". I wrote my side of the story to the awnser for the disbute claim in resolution center explaining every detail and giving the only screen shots i had, of our conversation. He even thanked me at the end for the gold deal in server wide global messages which i allso have a screen shot of. What furiates me and worries me is that there was no communication between me, the scammer and paypal. There was no feed back, there was no explenation, there was no comments on my awnser/explenation. So i just lost the money like its nothing. And now i cant contact the disbute claim in resolution center anymore to keep this process ongoing and fight back. So this is my story, tried to make it short and detailed. Now my question is, what can i do in situation like im in now? Accept the fate or is there more to do? Would be great to hear any ideas, advices, critics and experience of the paypal community. What can i do to protect myself better and what can i do to fight back if i should ever get to situation like this. Allso, are these disbutes reviewed by acctual people or algorythms? It seems like its the latter since there was 0 communication and feedback except automated email with no reply option.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VonJunga 

When a chargeback is filed, the account holder does it with their credit card company, not with PayPal and the chargeback is against PayPal's merchant bank. PayPal opens a dispute on your transaction and you are to provide PayPal with much info as possible as and they submit that info to fight the case on your behalf. If the bank decides (not PayPal) to refund the card holder, you are held responsible. You are only covered by PayPal if your transaction is eligible for seller protection. You do not have tracking number and it is digital goods/service. You will have to read seller protection policy and the applicable buyer purchase protection policy of where the buyer is located to see if you are eligible. 

You do not know who you are selling to on the other end. Could be a hacked account or stolen card or bank account used and so after the bank investigates and find that out if the accounts are stolen then of course they get their money back. That is why PayPal is best used with seller physical items than digital. You have to think about how many times you've had successful transactions as opposed to unsuccessful ones and do that math and decide if PayPal is the right payment processor for your business model.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.