Depop suspicious seller

Lotty1978
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I recently purchased a coat on Depop for my son for £90 and the seller wanted to do the transaction via PayPal to save fees so I was a bit wary as I realised I wasn’t protected if sale was off Depop but she offered to knock money off item to compensate so I did agree to pay via goods and services on PayPal as I thought this would be protection for me if anything was to go wrong. I asked her to send me a request for the payment which she was a bit reluctant to she wanted me to send money automatically to her but I insisted on her sending me a request, so she did and promised to post next day asked for address etc to post to. I mentioned about it being my sons Xmas money he’s 16 and was worried about being scammed and she seemed like a nice girl promised she wasn’t a scammer and to look at her reviews which she did have on her profile. So anyway I have paid her for goods and services and she has added a Royal Mail tracking number on there but tells me it’s been posted via Hermes. I have also had an email for this from Hermes with tracking but it at first said it was delayed then today it says ‘expected’ meaning it hasn’t been picked up. I am really worried I have been scammed now with the Royal Mail tracking on PayPal and saying it’s posted with Hermes and want to know can I raise a dispute and get a refund if the coat doesn’t come? I purchased it 3 days ago now
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lotty1978 

You have up to 180 days to open a dispute on Paypal so I would not even be thinking about it after only 3 days !!!

However yes you can open a paypal dispute for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

But if she has only just posted it and its the weekend when Hermes may not have picked up + covid slowing everything down I would allow plenty of time for it to arrive.

If you open a dispute for non receipt and then it turns up misdescribed you may have problems changing it if the dispute auto closes as seller has tracking.

If the item does arrive misdescribed then I hope you got the seller to FULLY describe the item on the money request, because if she just put 'coat' and it arrives in a dreadful state but is a coat then you may lose the dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.