Denial letter for credit I never applied for

Poohba
Contributor
Contributor

Twice this year, I have received a letter from Synchrony Bank "in response to your recent request to open a PayPal Credit Account". The letters state that I was not approved for the credit because Synchrony was not able to confirm my identity and that I do not need to respond to the letter.

I have never applied for PayPal Credit, so I am not upset that if someone attempted to get credit in my name it was denied. But nothing about these attempts ever shows up either in my PayPal account or my Credit Reports. Part of me is going into panic mode, wondering if I need to take further steps to prevent these from happening - while another part of me wonders if these letters are some kind of phishing attempt themselves.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

ChickenLips69
Contributor
Contributor

I got an alert from Credit Karma then received the letter in the mail. PayPal, how do we fix this and clean up our credit? I did not apply. The reason for denial was because "Risk Of Invalid Identity." If you knew it wasn't me, why did you ding my credit?

Login to Me Too

Ace333
New Community Member

I too received a letter and if someone did try to apply for credit through my account, why didn't I get a notification through my account.  It would be highly relevant to receive this information in realtime and to be able to instantly respond.  I am considering closing out my Paypal account in its entirety.  Is this a security breach of Paypal or Synchrony Bank?  Is anyone at either of these entities working on this?

Login to Me Too

dwra9c
Contributor
Contributor

So this is fraud plain and simple.  I haven't seen an response from PayPal nor to they seem to have any way too get this topic to their support team for a response.  I think a class action suit might be needed to get PayPal to change their credit account application process.  check to see if we have accounts.  contact us when fraud is going on.  I mean come on Synchrony figures it out and they somehow mail us the denial.   I will be closing my PayPal account within a week if no response.  I will also be posting on every board I can find to see if class action is a good path.  PayPal you need to do better even if it is a FAQ on your support page.   something.    

Login to Me Too

michael12laura7
Contributor
Contributor

Hey I know you posted this few months back, but what happened? I just got a letter like that today and came to research and found this. Any advice on what to do? Thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too

Arabe77a
Contributor
Contributor

I received this very letter saying I applied for an account on April 21, 2020.  I did not but there is no contact info other than an address. I. Am. Not. Happy. I have not checked my credit yet to see if it was affected.  

I would close my PayPal account but isn't that what's used to buy items on eBay?  If not, I don't need it for anything else. 

Login to Me Too

ras79
New Community Member

I just received the same letter today from Synchrony Bank. It said that I requested to open a PayPal Credit account on 5/27/20 and was denied. I have never attempted to open a credit card with them, nor have I ever had one with them (or anyone). The letter states the credit agency they went through and posted a score and possible reasons why I wasn't issued one. Is this something we need to report as an identity theft or report to the Synchrony Bank, PayPal? Who? There is no contact info from the bank, other than a PO Box. Do we just ignore it? Has anyone had any luck trying to figure it out?

Login to Me Too

Arabe77a
Contributor
Contributor

I did call PayPal.  Very vague in his response.  I was impressed how easy it was to talk  to a real person (with an American accent) so thumbs up to their CS.  

I have more important things to do than pursue it any further.  It's been 2 months since receiving it.  All my accounts are fine.  However, I did cancel the PayPal account and can still buy things on eBay.  That was my only concern cuz I surely love eBay 😁 

Please let us know if you do find additional info.

Login to Me Too

TorresJamesE
New Community Member

I also received a letter in the mail today about a denial letter for a request for a PayPal credit account I did not apply for.

1. I contacted PayPal through their messaging system and was told that they do not handle things related to credit
  2. Got directed to call Synchrony Bank, got in contact with a person who told me that I should contact PayPal
  3. ...
  4. 😐
  5. 😑

In short, I got the run-around.

I am going to ignore it for now but keep a pulse on my credit scores and what-have-you.

Login to Me Too

jacksilb557
Contributor
Contributor
And I am the latest to receive this letter, dated 8/10/20. The format of my address doesn't seem PayPal-provided. Come on PayPal, at least say you're looking into this!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.