Denial letter for credit I never applied for

Poohba
Contributor
Contributor

Twice this year, I have received a letter from Synchrony Bank "in response to your recent request to open a PayPal Credit Account". The letters state that I was not approved for the credit because Synchrony was not able to confirm my identity and that I do not need to respond to the letter.

I have never applied for PayPal Credit, so I am not upset that if someone attempted to get credit in my name it was denied. But nothing about these attempts ever shows up either in my PayPal account or my Credit Reports. Part of me is going into panic mode, wondering if I need to take further steps to prevent these from happening - while another part of me wonders if these letters are some kind of phishing attempt themselves.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

carmijok
Contributor
Contributor

I just received a letter today with the same info.  I"m glad the bank is real and that they refused the request, however I  am more concerned about what I should do to ensure that my account is not  hacked at all.  I would think PayPal would send an email to ME  asking if the request that was made was legit.  I would close my account, but I use it too  much for online purchases and credits.  I don't know if changing my password would be enough.

Login to Me Too

Arabe77a
Contributor
Contributor

I did cancel my PayPal account and still receive this type of letter.  It was disconcerting initially but now I just ignore the idiots.  

Login to Me Too

carmijok
Contributor
Contributor
I feel the same way. I did change my password. If I didn't have recurring payments I would cancel my account.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.