Change my account name to another name?

LeonPetrou
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I started my Personal PayPal account with a friend a few years back as we were going to start creating courses on Udemy together. We created it under his name 'Johnny'. Shortly after we created the account he decided he didn't want to do Udemy anymore but I continued with it, and continued using the same PayPal account which had his name on it (my silly mistake).

The problem I'm experiencing is that PayPal has now limited my account, and when I try to validate my identity with my ID document, it gets rejected and my account gets further limited because my name 'Leon' is different to the name on my account 'Johnny'.

How can I validate my identity with PayPal so that I can change my name on the account and remove the limitations?

Thank you in advance,
Leon Petrou

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LeonPetrou 

You can't change a name on a paypal account from one person to another.

If the name on the account is not a name that was ever your legal name, it is not likely that a name change will be possible. Names can be changed on an account in the following circumstances:

A legal name change

A minor misspelling

And in the case of an account for a registered business, a change in the designated contact for the company.

Changing from a fictitious name (or, as in your case, another persons name and not your legal name) to a legally recognized name is not something that is supported. If the account is not currently limited, you may wish to close the account and open an account using the correct information.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LeonPetrou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply @kernowlass!

That is a pity. I'm happy to close the account but I'd first like to withdraw all my funds in my account (which I can't currently do because my account is limited).

How can I withdraw my funds into my bank account with a limited account?

Regards,
Leon

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
Your account seems to be temporary limited. If you keep sending the incorrect ID document they will will limit your account permanently. This will cause your funds to get on hold for 180 days, and after that time your money will be released for withdrawal. There's no other chances...
Login to Me Too

LeonPetrou
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply @juanbbatista 

I guess that is fine, as long as I will be able to withdraw my funds.

Will I definitely be able to withdraw my funds into my bank account after those 180 days even though my account is not verified nor is the name on my account my legal name? 

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
Upsss that would be a problem! The information in your bank account must match the information in your PayPal account in order to have a successful transaction.
Login to Me Too

LeonPetrou
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer @juanbbatista 

Unfortunately, it is not because my bank account is in my legal name 'Leon [Removed]' not my friend's name. I have withdrawn money to this account before.

Does that mean I have lost all my money that is in my account?

I can prove that every transaction in the PayPal account (income earned) is from a Udemy account that is in my name. Hopefully that is sufficient proof to allow PayPal to let me withdraw my funds.

How will I be able to withdraw my funds?

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
I'm not 100% sure, because I've read reports of unsuccessful transaction due to missmatch information. However, if you have done this before I guess you will get your money back after all.
Login to Me Too

LeonPetrou
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your insight @juanbbatista 

Is there any way that I can validate my account with PayPal by providing proof that every transaction came from a Udemy account in my legal name? I doubt PayPal can just keep my money forever can they?

I can ask my friend to use his ID document and proof of address to validate the account which will allow me to withdraw my funds. Is that a potential solution to this problem?

Login to Me Too

juanbbatista
Contributor
Contributor
If your account was partially limited, the only way to lift limitations is by providing the documents they're requesting. If ID is one of these documents, then your friends ID and prove of address will definitely work. It's not possible to lift limitations by proving that all the incoming transactions are destinated to you. Actually, that might be the cause the limitation is on place, because PayPal doesn't see correct to receive money in your account if it is destinated to others. Right now, I suggest you to submit your friend's ID document and prove of address. Keep mind that this doesn't guarantee that your account will be restored, actually it will be probably limited in a permanent manner after you send the correct information. The fact is that this account suffered activity that doesn't fit PayPal's rules, and that can't be changed 😢. In case they decide to close your account they won't hold your money forever, it will be held just for 180 days. If you're not able to withdraw the balance due to missmatch with your bank account -as we discussed before- then PayPal could take your money. Fortunately you have withdrawn money before, so I hope this last point doesn't happen to you.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.