Can't dispute pending probable scam authorization.

das_vargas
New Community Member

Hi, I ordered an item on Feb 1st 2020 from a site in Asia that I realized almost immediately after is fraudulent. It was on Feb 1st so I understand it may take time, and the funds haven't been removed from my banking account. I'm more so worried about the fact that I get a message reading "Unable to complete your request. We're sorry, you can't file a case on this type of transaction. Please refer to our User Agreement for more details" when I do try to go to the Resolution Center about the transaction. 

I also tried to give the merchant the benefit of the doubt by contacting them immediately after to cancel my order, but I received no response, or even an initial confirmation email about my order. I just want to make sure I'm not actually charged, or if I am, I can properly dispute it, the message I get is just alarming.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @das_vargas,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, you may receive that error message if, for example, you are trying to dispute a payment that has already been refunded, if you are trying to dispute a payment received or a withdrawal or if you are trying to dispute a payment that has not been completed yet. As you mentioned that you completed an authorisation, this is an agreement between buyer and seller and the payment will be completed only if the merchant processes and confirms the order. The difference with a normal payment is that, usually, the authorisation remains pending until the merchant decides to process it. If the payment has not been processed yet, you would not be able to dispute it as we don't know whether the merchant will complete the order. 

I would recommend reaching out to the merchant first. Then, if the payment is completed but you do not receive anything, then you can file a claim from your Resolution Centre. 

I hope this helps!

Martina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.