Buyer provided incorrect shipping address

Kateh86
Contributor
Contributor
Hi all hoping you can help - I sold an item via Facebook marketplace and the buyer paid good and services via PayPal. I confirmed with the buyer that the address on PayPal was correct (I sent a screenshot of PayPal and he confirmed this was correct), I sent the item special delivery to the address confirmed. I have records of the conversation, the paper receipt from postage and the tracking info as evidence. Now the buyer is saying that the address was wrong - he forgot to put a flat number so the address was a street address but didnt include the flat details. The tracking information from Royal Mail says ‘returned to sender as address not located’ - the item can not be returned to sender as I did not put a return address. This is a standard outcome for Royal Mail and not specific to this parcel (if they can’t find the address they always say returned to sender even if there is no return address). So the buyer doesn’t have the item but I also will not get the item back. How does this work if the buyer raises a dispute - he didn’t get the item and the tracking proves this but neither do I have the item so why should I lose the item and the money when it’s the buyer fault and he’s admitted that the put the wrong address? Has anyone ever been in this situation and had a positive resolution? The item was expensive so really concerned. I can’t claim with Royal Mail either as the address was wrong so they won’t issue compensation. Thanks
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kateh86 

Has PayPal already ruled against you?

If you used PayPal shipping to print the postage label, PayPal can see you shipped to address as on the payment at least but the kicker is that tracking status does not show delivered. For that, PayPal 'could' initially rule in buyer's favor if escalated.

Since you didn't put a return address, that, is not paypal's concern and your error. I don't get all this trying to be anonymous. Especially on something expensive. Never know what's going to happen and the package has to be returned for some reason other than faulty address. 

To me both parties' messed up. Buyer messed up with faulty address and you messed up for not putting a return address. Offer a partial refund? if that is not too late. Reason with the buyer. You can suggest to the buyer of refunding item price only. I think that is fair. Buyer should lose out on the shipping costs for their error. You should lose out on the item price for not providing return address.

If you do not resolve this or the buyer loses, they will go to their credit card issuer for a chargeback due to the high value and it could cost you more on top of the disputed amount. PayPal charges a chargeback fee.

Or you can hold your position, making your case why you aren't liable and let the chips fall where they may.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Kateh86
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your reply - does it state In PayPal guides that a return address needs to be put on? I have looked but can’t see anything. I thought that was only for shipping internationally and therefore can’t see how PayPal can hold that against me as I did everything correctly. I always take extra postage insurance so I am covered if parcels go missing / damaged etc so a return address has never been required - it’s not to ‘remain anonymous’ I have just never needs to (obviously in future I will). I’m only not covered with Royal Mail this time as the buyer gave the incorrect address (twice). I will wait and see what the buyer does as they have accepted it’s their error I was just asking just in case. I won’t be offering refund as I know I won’t get my item back so can’t afford to lose £250 and also the item (so £500 altogether) as it’s buyer error with the address - if it was my error I would refund straight away. Thanks for your advice though and I will keep it in mind should the buyer dispute it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.