As Seller on eBay you seem to have no rights!

Tom_Ch
New Community Member
Watch out for this classic 'scam'...! I sold a jumper, second hand one. The lady who won auction, paid via PayPal, I posted the item following day. She's received it. She's left a positive feedback on ebay. Great! After nearly a month from the transaction date, she sent a message via eBay that she loves the jumper and she was going to wear it but found two little holes under the armpit. She wanted a full refund. I called eBay and spoken to one of managers. I explained the situation, I said I'm 100% sure that the jumper, had no holes. Every 2nd hand item I sell it meticulously checked and.. If it had holes it wouldn't have been for sale. Simple. We both agreed that if you buy a 2nd hand item you check it thoroughly once received. That's obvious. And so, he said that it's likely if this case goes into dispute I'll probably have to accept the full refund and then when I receive the jumper back I'll have to check its condition. If then I'm happy they would release the funds. So I said to him, I'll offer her partial refund and I can say straight away that if it's got a hole the condition changed from when I posted it! I offered partial refund, going down to the listing start price. No reply. Following day, email form PayPal. Buyer demands full refund, item not as described. How ridiculous! I replied straight away. Explaining the whole situation again. Day or two after, email from PayPal saying that the buyer will post item back for a full refund. I disagreed. Rung eBay again, spoken to different manager but had same thoughts, he was also surprised that a PayPal dispute has been opened without closing eBay case. Apparently we can't have both running at same time...?! In the meantime, I received the parcel back. Opened it. I checked the jumper, found a hole. And what it appears is, that it has been snagged! And it's not two, but one. And it's exactly in a place where I took measurements, so it's impossible that I could not see it! I took pictures and send them with a complain to PayPal. Via the resolution center I only had an option to click 'notify us' when I received the parcel. Which I didn't want to click as I worried, it would automatically refund her. I've had a reply saying this case has been send further to a higher department and they'll get back to me. What happened after. I've received email from PayPal that because I haven't responded in provided timeframe they took it in buyer's favour and took money from my account to refund this lady. I the contacted then again to say how ridiculous it is. I've contacted them several times since.. That they have an internal system problem where a case, dispute runs on one track but then a complain about the same case started on a parrarel track the first one should be put on hold! Or at least they should communicate between each other, between departments. So, I was questioning them on what basis the actual decision has been made. Never got answered. It's just the way it is. And it's not even about the money, but is the system won't change then people will be taking advantage every time then can! This experience shows that you can buy, basically anything on eBay. Use it untill you have time to report that something isn't right with the item. Then report it, not as described. And get full refund. Absolutely ridiculous!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tom_Ch 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against another.

As paypal never see the item in question then they tend to favour the buyer BUT the buyer has to return the item back to you at their own expense before you have to issue a refund. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.