Another unlucky soul scammed by usenet.nl :(

TruePenuin23
Contributor
Contributor

Good Day everyone,

Hopefully I will have more success here, seen as getting a response from a PayPal support member that doesn't simply copy and paste 1 of 3 responses, is like winning the lotto.

So like the title says, I got caught out by usenet.nl, and am attempting to get PayPal to have them refund me.

Has anyone had any success with this?

The story so far;
Like most, I joined on a trial period as it was the only way to access a journal, only to find after joining that they in fact did not have the journal in question.

I then proceeded to cancel my account through their site's cancellation function.
I didn't get any confirmation of cancellation, and no, I didn't find that odd seen as I hadn't received an email for joining and thought this was just the norm for them to not email. (Joined and cancelled the same day)

After which I gave it no further thought, 14days later, I woke up to a $99 transaction from PayPal to usenet.nl.
I messaged usenet.nl and PayPal straight away, but nothing is coming of it.

I have since googled "usenet.nl" and seen just have often people are scammed by them and that it isn't anything new.

With having not gotten what I signup for in the first place, cancelling my account same day, making no use of the bandwidth on their site, I expect to be refunded, especially with $99 being 1/5 of my salary and seen as PayPal hasn't dealt with them when they clearly scam people regularly.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TruePenuin23 

Check if you had a subscription set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

TruePenuin23
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

I had only been aware of doing that until a day ago, and have since made sure it has been cancelled there.

My problem is that the $99 has been deducted already, and since I had cancelled my subscription through usenet.nl's site during the trial period, I had assumed it would have unlinked from my PayPal.

Seen as in the past, when cancelling with scribd, they simply stopped deducting from my account once my subscription ended.

For future practice, I will make certain to check automatic payments have been deactivated for anything I cancel...after doing thorough research of the site of course.

Now I need to get my money refunded, seen as I cancelled my account with usenet.nl through their site, after finding they had faked the content I had signed up for. But they apparently never processed my cancellation so that they could claim my money.

It is really sad, coz this is currently how it seems to be (what usenet.nl does which PayPal seems to support and be fine with):

Step 1: make a fake site,
Step 2: claiming to have items for sale or software, etc (which you {usenet.nl} don't have, but they wont know that until joining),
Step 3: require people to join via trial or payment, before they can access anything,
Step 4: now that the new member has realised you don't have what you claimed to have, simply don't process or allow member cancellations during trial period or first month,
Step 5: bill them for a year subscription (coz I mean why go for a month, seen as they will block all future payments once realising we didn't cancel their account and don't intend to)
Step 6: sit back, take their money and relax, PayPal wont do anything about it.

Login to Me Too

lee1hy
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally opened the case due to an unauthorized transaction. The case was closed without a refund. How can I open the case again?

Login to Me Too

TruePenuin23
Contributor
Contributor

You should be able to reopen/escalate the case...you can also try messaging support. However from my experience and the experiences I've read of others, you wont be getting that money back. I do hope though that I am wrong and you are the lucky one that has success :), especially in these trying times. I opened my case within a matter of hours of the transaction and after a month of back and forth, I still left empty handed.

The sad truth though is...Unfortunately if it's in regards to the usenet.nl transactions, you can kiss that money goodbye...sadly Paypal seems to approve of the scamming methods used by usenet.nl, as it is always the same...they claim they have the product you are looking for, you sign up to trial, only to find they don't have the item...cancel your subscription through their site's account cancellation feature, and hear nothing until suddenly they charge you, after which you query and then they happily cancel your account and wont refund you even though they can see you haven't used their services. You take it up with Paypal and you'll be explain yourself over and over again to a different support person and without reason the outcome will always be for usenet.nl.

Even though no service/item was used/received from usenet.nl, which is already one of the factors that should get you your refund...they will simply close the case and not explain why. And eventually just stop bothering to reply or even attempt to assist.

Best of luck

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.