payment outside of ebay, but using paypal.

dan16_10
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Yesterday, I agreed with a buyer to purchase an Ipad from ebay, but because he had already sold numerous items on ebay, he could not do this anymore. As a result, we agreed that we should do this transaction straight through paypal. Therefore, today he sent an invoice asking me to pay the ammount of money that we agreed upon, also including these elements:

Subject: PayPal money request for ipad 3rd generation

Note: ipad is basically brand new, no scratches or marks. Works fine, refunds are accepted.

As everything seemed ok, I decided to finalise the payment. However, after I paid for the item, I noticed that although he was claiming that he is from Merseyside, his postcode was beginning with CH, while the phone number which was listed was invalid. Then, I sent him a message on ebay, asking him to clarify these for me. However, since then more than 6 hours have passed and I still have not received anything. 

Therefore, can you please tell me, am I covered by Paypal's buyer protection, as if i will not receive anything, will I be able to claim my money back?

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
74 REPLIES 74

kas1

DO not even consider doing it. In the case of damaged or DOA goods Paypal buyer protection will only refund you the purchase price and only after having provived proof that you have returned it to the sender, at YOUR expense.

I am involved in a case right now where I paid 500$ for a used computer (684 after shipping)

Upon arrival, I had to pay Fedex a further 194 Euro in local clearance charges and taxes, before I could receive and inspect the goods.

Only AFFTER that did I find that the age and condition of the computer was not only substantially different from what was advertisesd, but that it was physically damaged during transit and completely dead - it will not even switch on never mind boot up.

I will now have to incur FURTHER return shipping cost with Fedex or similar of at least 150 Euros before Paypal will refund me the original 684USD paid

Total USD spent to date 912 USD of which I will receive nothing back unless I ship the article back at a further cost of +-180USD

So in total I would have then paid 1092 USD of which Paypal will only refund me 684 USD - DO not do it Ebay cover return shipping cost as well.

Login to Me Too

Aaron22
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys,

Ok, so I saw a phone on eBay and decided to purchase it. We did the transfer of payment via PayPal when he sent the invoice to my email etc. However, when I made the payment, I haven't heard from the seller since. He's not responding to messages and I even emailed him via the email he has on his PayPal account but no replies. I not too long opened a dispute but what should I do or expect or any advise??

Thanks for your response 

Login to Me Too

llb1
New Community Member

I've just done the same thing and have an unsettling feeling about it all.

Mine was for an iphone $700 just through paypal not ebay- seller contacted me after I made a few enquiries and offered a better deal if we cut out the ebay fees. Given the seller has over 600 positive feedback and was very responsive and helpful- I thought it would be all ok. She even suggested PayPal due to it's protection. She sent through the request and I paid it straight away (use PayPal all the time, have an Etsy shop and sell through Insta too and have never had any problems). Only after I paid it, I realised that there were no details on the request- it wasn't much of an invoice and I suspect that it was a personal request for funds- but I'm not sure how to check?? She has given me an express post tracking number (via a photo of the package) but when I check it there are no details. Phone is still listed on eBay as Buy It Now or Best Offer....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@llb1

The only time you are NOT covered when you pay via paypal is when you pay using the friends / family option.

If she sent you an online invoice or money request you would be covered for non receipt of item.

OR

Did she send  you a paypal.me request to your phone? If so it could have been a gift payment BUT there is a little box underneath that you tick if its for a transaction for goods / services.

However whatever option she used you would only be covered for 'item received but not as described' dependent on the information on that invoice about the item you are buying eg if she just put 'phone' and she sent a toy phone then you got what you paid for.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

shawri
New Community Member

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered but im in a similar situtaion. Ebay user says I cant buy through Ebay becuase their paypal account isnt working through ebay anymore & he wants me to send directly to him through ebay, he hasnt sent me an invoice, I'm supposed to just send him the money. Will I be covered if the item doesnt arrive or is faulty? thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.