Paid using PayPal credit - payment taken from bank account

JayBirdUK
Contributor
Contributor

I recently got PayPal credit which was extremely useful for an emergency laptop replacement. The payment of £350 ish went against the PayPal credit and all was good. 

However, I recently purchased a few smaller items and selected the paypal credit option at checkout. Each individual purchase was around the £25-30 pounds and the total basket was around £150 

Today the purchases have been taken from by linked bank account and not the paypal credit as selected. Luckily this is not a problem but I am now concerned that if I make another larger purchase in future I could have money going from my bank account rather than using the selected credit option. 

I have had a read of various topics but cannot find anything that says there is a minimum individual purchase amount ... nor did I get any warning or refusal message when completing checkout. 

Can someone shed any light on why it defaulted to my bank ? 

And yes .. I am 200% sure I clicked the paypal credit option

Thanks. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JayBirdUK

I never use credit so can't say for sure BUT i think that the £150 has to be on one item only.

Best ring and check and if you can update us that would be good in the future for others.

Claims Team Number. >>
0800 358 7911

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JayBirdUK
Contributor
Contributor

Well !!

I did indeed speak to them and was first told it was because of the "Auto pay" ... I explained it was not as I had to log into my paypal account and select the payment method 

I was then told that apparently Ebay can "override" your selection and it may be that the sellers do not accept paypal credit and that is wy it was deducted from the bank 

Basically they had no idea and I am now awaiting a response from the technical team 

PayPal are adamant that it is not them and if it was an issue then I would not be the only one so it has to be Ebay

However there is no point talking to Ebay as they will not do anything no the money has been taken. Neither is there anything at all PayPal can do to switch the payment from bank to credit.  

Like I said it is a hit on the bank that is inconvenient more than anything else but really not impressed with the "excuses" from customer service .... especially admitting that regardless of the payment method their customers select Ebay can happily override it and you are not notified of this 

Now a waiting game for technical people to investigate ..... I am not holding my breath 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.