How can I change the currency preference that I pay for items via Paypal.

Busted37
New Community Member

I recently bought some items from China that were listed in US Dollars, when I checked my bank statement I'd been charged £1.25 per item for a currency converter fee.  As the items were only £1.50 each I effectively paid double.  Can anyone help please.

Login to Me Too
85 REPLIES 85

Narumon
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal sent me a solution which is worked for me: When you pay the paypal will show the conversion rate. Click there and you have an option (change conversion options or something similar) click it. Now it brings up a new menu, where you can choos - my card provider rate - (or something similar). Click itt and voila, the conversion rate has gone. It worked for me.

Login to Me Too

Vizor
Contributor
Contributor

I just tested several options but I cannot see such menu. Can you guide us where to click ?

The only place I can click is "Change funding source", "User agreement" and "Send payments now"

Login to Me Too

Narumon
Contributor
Contributor

Its not on paypals page. When you buy something - that page will redirect you to paypal (for login only). And a little "window" will appear not a full paypal page. (You can see the amount you must pay and very little information - and the bottom you will see something like this. conversion rate 1EUR = 0,87865 HUF (in your currency). You need to click this line - and you will find the changing options which I mentioned above. Every time when you pay you need to do this - it cant be saved and paypal doesnt remember it. But it works (at least for now). Try it with an actual buying. I hope its clearer this way.

Login to Me Too

NilsNilsson
Contributor
Contributor

@Narumon

The feature that you mention, (i.e to change exchange option at checkout at eBay) is not available anymore in several countries. It was some weeks ago.

It seems that PayPal implement their new program updates one country at a time,  with this extra fee built in and without option to change it.

Login to Me Too

Narumon
Contributor
Contributor

Mhm sorry to hear that. I thought you have the same problem as I have. (Aftern 16th November paypal changes the software and the adjusted settings doesnt work for anymore.) Before 16th Nov, I was able to use paypal at any currency without conversion just a settings in paypal setup page. (Under the Pre-approved payments). AFTER that date, the paypal charges currency - no matter what you set it here. The above workaround its working for me (from Hungary) I can pay in any currency without conversion with that workaround. If you dont have that option (its hided anyway - i couldnt figured out myself), thats a shame for paypal. 😞

Sorry to give you false hopes 😞

Login to Me Too

Vizor
Contributor
Contributor

Is this some kind of joke or what?!?!
If these guys cannot fix their website .. how can I trust them with my money?!

Are you joking hiding the options from the main menu and then your site is making some kind of interesting rates converting euro to euro with lower rate? 🙂 You definitely need get all programmers fired!! 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Login to Me Too

NilsNilsson
Contributor
Contributor

@Vizor

WTF? This is not a "programming error". This is massive fraud! We are talking millions of users here.

Login to Me Too

Vizor
Contributor
Contributor

This is absolutely not a joke. If you have a normal browser with development tools in it you can remove the "hide" tag from the <a> and you'll see the results. For me - this is unacceptable. And definitely milions of users are affected by this "mistake" and their money are taken by paypal. How can I open a case to their team to ask what happened with my few euros taken from me due to their "mistake"?

Login to Me Too

Narumon
Contributor
Contributor

This is the option which is working for me right now...

paypal.png

Login to Me Too

Vizor
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this option is there but only in a case when you're making purchase from somewhere. I'm taking about sending money to someone with the main option from their menu "SEND AND REQUEST PAYMENTS". You have an option which is hidden and it is bugging their site. I had conversation with few of my friends that are using it and they have the same results which they're charged quite more than usual

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.