Disputes Over Long Lead Time Items?

Terekane
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have a question regarding opening disputes with sellers. A few weeks ago, I ordered a custom-made item from a seller (non-ebay transaction) that will take several weeks to make and ship. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but after paying the seller, I heard no response for several weeks. Just recently, I finally received an email indicating that he would starting soon however, the production time will put delivery well past the 45 day limit on opening disputes. Since I am a little unsure of this seller at this point, I'm just wondering what I should do...is there any way to open disputes after 45 days for such an order and if not, can a dispute be left unresolved for greater than 20 days? I want to give the seller time to complete my order but I don't want to lose my only bargaining chip in case they disappear on me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Amanda411

Hi Terekane,

Happy to have you here in the community!

I understand your dilemma unfortunately there is no way to extend the dispute deadline.

You could contact the seller and discuss options such as receiving a refund and resending payment. You could also file a dispute just before the deadline to open a dialogue with the seller. The dispute can be closed or escalated at any point before it's expiration at 20 days.

Keep in mind that if you close a dispute or claim you cannot reopen it.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

EvanIsCool
New Community Member

You can ask the seller to refund the payment, and send an invoice to pay the same amount again.

That will give you 45 more days.

The seller should see how risky it would be for you to do otherwise.  He should also realize that if you open a dispute now, you will win, as the product hasn't been shipped.

If he won't comply, then open a dispute, and get your money back, and don't deal with the seller again.

Hope that helps.  It might be too late already.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.