Cancelled payment but still charged

Cindy11
Contributor
Contributor

I cancelled a payment, but I still received a charge on my credit card. How do I correct this problem?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Normally it takes a few days for the money to post back to your account.

Give it at least till the end of this week, then if it's not back in your account, give PayPal a call, if that's what you used to make your purchase.

Login to Me Too

Cindy11
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, great. I won't worry until I need to then.

Login to Me Too

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

For reference later on, look at it like this:

If you make a purchase and then cancel it..... The money have ALREADY let your and and in transit to where it was set to go.

Now, once the money arrive at that location it was transferred to, there will be at least a few days hold on that money for verification and investigative purposes. After that time has gone by, they'll initiate the reversal of the money, which could take another few days to reach back to your account.

Remember this too: PayPal and other financial institutions know that people pay for things then immediately cancel/dispute the charge AND still keep the product AND now wanting their money back too.

They have to make sure the other end haven't filed a claim against you either, while you canceled out the order.

Hope that helps!

Login to Me Too

Cindy11
Contributor
Contributor

Good to know. The reason I cancelled was just a typo in the address that I originally sent the money to (I mistakenly put @gmail rather than @live) so hopefully there won't be a problem.

Login to Me Too

tservers
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The money will go back to the rightful owner. You have nothing to worry about.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.