A buyer used, damaged an item but got full refund thanks to PayPal

kris111
New Community Member
Hi I'm a business seller on ebay UK, I sell used car parts - tested, in good wotking condition. I sold good working turbo, after a few days the guy called me back saying that it developed some noise and he wants replacement or refund, after a few calls he agreed to send it back but insisted on sending the replacement asap - I'm not stupid from what I heard I was sure he damaged the turbo. Of course when I unpacked it there was visible damage to the baldes (a damage from a foreign object left in intercooler system - obvious mistake while replacing a turbo). After I called him he opened a case "item received was damaged". I called PayPAl and asked what I was supposed to do - the guy on the phone explained that I didn't have to write a reply (that means the case, whatever my reply would be, would be closed in the buyer favour), instead of that he closed the case and opened an appeal. I uploaded a picture of the turbo before the sale, a picture of the turbo the buyer sent back and a report from an independent garage. PayPal didn't bother to send me an email - I found on my PayPal account the info: "After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time. The item was damaged." I'm speechless!!! Of course it was damaged! damaged by the buyer!! I'm £150 less (for the turbo only) but for god sake how to prove I was right! Everybody now can send me back a damaged part and open PayPal case??? is there anyway I can get legal advice/help in the UK?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Unfortunately it is your word against the buyers and in this scenario paypal normally finds for the buyer.

If you want to take it further then look into small claims court action if you think you have enough proof.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.