New Account. Immediately "cannot do business" with PayPal?

cocreatework
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I recently began putting more focus and planning into booting up an older business of mine, and I just signed up for PayPal to consider using it as a quick means to accept payments from customers.  I signed up, created API credentials, popped their javascript code onto a server of mine, and ran a test transaction on one of my credit cards.  I browsed around, checked it out, and it looks like PayPal has really come a long way in the last years.

On a side note, as I type this, I keep on having to fill out the "I'm not a robot" captcha.  I keep clicking it because it is annoying to just stare at it.

And then the next day I receive an email that states that my purpose of creating an account is  "engaged in activity to deceive PayPal and its customers".  At first I assume this is interesting timing for a spammer's phishing email.  But hey, I'm curious!  And now I see that the button link indeed goes to paypal.com .... Wow!  What a waste of time: sign up to check out a service, and then the service tells you, "hey I know you're new here, but you're here to deceive PayPal and its customers."

Another business of mine uses PayPal simply to pay an overseas vendor and send invoices to a handful of customers.  Apparently, that is all that PayPal is good at doing, and any sense I got that PayPal had "come a long way" is clearly why I stopped using them long ago: suddenly you become some false positive for their company.  I wonder how many legitimate customers businesses lose every year by using PayPal in the first place because PayPal thinks a paying customer is "trying to deceive them"?

Thank you, PayPal, for quickly terminating the relationship before I invested more time and resources into your solution.  Good riddance!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cocreatework 

the way you tested the PayPal integration is not ideal, proper and even prohibited. PayPal has their sandbox accounts for testing. so I am not surprised their security system smashed down on you. 

More info:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/api-basics/sandbox/accounts/

Testing with your own real credit cards is a bad move. It can be argued that fraudsters use this method to check cards to commit fraud so we can't just take it upon ourselves to test our integrations by just any old way and think it is fine. Don't put it all on PayPal. They are just protecting their services/system. People are not aware of what is proper to do or and what's not.

As per user agreement, you can't:

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#restricted-activities

• Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so).
  • Use the PayPal services to test credit card behaviors.

You may not mean any harm but PayPal's algorithms is not to know that, being its a new account with no history. You can contact PayPal customer service and explain the situation and that you didn't know you weren't supposed to test your integration like that...something and hope they will reconsider. Hit the Help link on top menu and message PayPal.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cocreatework
Contributor
Contributor

How do I contact PayPal customer service and explain the situation?

Their phone hangs up on me.  Their online chat only has an agent and tells me that no one is available--even during business hours.

Is PayPal just completely shutting me out?  I don't think my issue is uncommon enough for PayPal to not say, "Hey!  We noticed that THE NAME ON THE CREDIT CARD TRANSACTION MATCHES THE NAME OF YOUR ACCOUNT....so you're probably not a scammer trying to rip us off." -- instead of writing me an email telling me that I'm trying to harm PayPal and it's users, how about write me an email telling me to review a starter cheat-sheet or something?

...that's a rhetorical question, of course 🙂  Does anyone know how to get in touch with PayPal customer support?  I have some extra time, and we have been EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH AUTHORIZE dot NET, although it took time to integrate.  But of course people still use PayPal today, and the business wants that option.

Thank you for listening to my rant.  Is there any way to contact PayPal support at all?  Or is there a way to submit a support ticket?

Thanks again!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.