Cannot remove debit card.

Akashi-Fox
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm having a bit of a problem the the add/remove debit card feature.

My bank was bought out by another bank, so they cancelled all the debit cards their customers had, and sent us new ones. 

My problem is that I cannot remove my old cancelled card from the list. When I try, I recieve a message stating "You may not remove your back-up funding source while an instant transfer is still pending." But I don't have any pending instant transfers. 

Can any one help me out?

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

peteg
New Community Member

I had the same issue.  No pending transactions against my card, plus I'd changed my "primary backup" funding away from the expiring card several months back.

Called customer service (link to customer-service number on site was down - bad link, found number on paypal**bleep** site, hmm...), and they confirmed and removed my old card.

Looks like there's a bug somewhere.

-pete

Login to Me Too

HounDawg07
New Community Member

Had the same problem. Called customer service, and the rep said it's a known bug they're working on. He removed the card for me, and I was on the phone for less than three minutes.

Login to Me Too

astridfeline
Contributor
Contributor

good to know since I've dreaded phoning and still haven't done that.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello!

astridfeline--I would suggest contacting our Customer Service to assist with getting the pending charge removed. 

CarlinDFW--I'm glad to hear that you were able to get this taken care of!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

clb_eka
Contributor
Contributor

Nice to hear it's a known bug, but it is now JUNE and the problem still exists!

Login to Me Too

thehbcrew
Contributor
Contributor

i agree this has been going on since february and nobody can fix the bug?  I actually found an old transaction and was able to cancel it, i was so excited, went to go remove card, and still says the same BS.  Submitted an email ticket, maybe they can figure it out

Login to Me Too

gh_at_the_lake
Contributor
Contributor

There are 2 credit cards on my acct- The valid one was issued to replace the other by Chase to replace the other that was a fraud victim. For more than 6 months I haven't been able to delete the obsolete one due to "pending authorization'??? The new-valid card just got a new good thru date but PayPal won't allow charges on it. No reply to email- The phone number Login, Click "Contact Us", Click "Customer Service Center" isn't valid. Is this a new business model for PayPal?????????

Login to Me Too

Jubilea
Contributor
Contributor

Ok im hoping this clears the issue up for alot of you as it took me 4 phone calls to pay pal get this done.

Ok first thing is DONT USE YOUR ACT AT ALL FOR 7 DAYS!!! This is a must.  PayPal looks at the day of your last transaction and makes you wait 7 days before they will remove the credit card.

All the reps I spoke to siad even if your act says it is complete and we have confirmation numbers including money withdrawn from our bank acts, THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS ACTUALY COMPLET. (I didnt quite understand that and still dont). They told me it will take 5 to 7 days from last transaction to come out paypal system as FULLY COMPLETE.

So my last transaction was 5-14-11 today is 5-22-11(day 😎  I tried to remove my card and still got the canot remove back up message again.  I called them and let them know its been 8 days now and the card should be removed. 

I am greatfull to say they did remove the card for me and I no longer have to deal with the problem.

I hope this helps you all to clear things up.

Just remember wait at least the 7 days from the date of last transaction to call and have them remove it.  Dont put another card on is my recomendation.  I didnt put one on you dont have to either.

@Akashi-Fox wrote:

So I'm having a bit of a problem the the add/remove debit card feature.

My bank was bought out by another bank, so they cancelled all the debit cards their customers had, and sent us new ones. 

My problem is that I cannot remove my old cancelled card from the list. When I try, I recieve a message stating "You may not remove your back-up funding source while an instant transfer is still pending." But I don't have any pending instant transfers. 

Can any one help me out?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.