Paypal making it hard for me to change my name

Berlynn
Contributor
Contributor

I've since gotten married and submitted the documents that Paypal asked that's listed on the FAQS (govt ID and marriage contract). After more than 5 banking days there's no change.  I did submit the documents 3 times before and there's a significant lack of communication of update. I decided to call and the customer rep told me that it ACTUALLY takes 2 weeks and I will see the change at x date. After waiting patiently and foolishly thinking they would do as they told, still nothing. When I called back, another rep told me to submit proof of billing and a banking statement, what for, those are for business account and mine is personal? 

Now almost 2 months have passed and my money is stuck. I have yet to get my proof of billing as my telco is giving me a hard time as well. 

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

KarenRose11
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @Berlynn

What I did before when I asked them to changed my last name is that I send them all my ID's with my new Marriage Surname and also a marriage contract. I just took pictures of all those ids and marriage contract. I don't remember sending any utility bills. I'm not sure if their process change already. If they insist, you can enroll with an online statement from your Telco so that you could receive your statement bills online and just screenshot it.

Kind Regards,

Karen

Login to Me Too

Berlynn
Contributor
Contributor

@KarenRose11 wrote:

Hello @Berlynn

What I did before when I asked them to changed my last name is that I send them all my ID's with my new Marriage Surname and also a marriage contract. I just took pictures of all those ids and marriage contract. I don't remember sending any utility bills. I'm not sure if their process change already. If they insist, you can enroll with an online statement from your Telco so that you could receive your statement bills online and just screenshot it.

Kind Regards,

Karen

Hi @KarenRose11

It's been a hectic couple of weeks with no luck. I don't understand why it took them weeks to answer my inquiry through the message center. First, they've copy pasted the same process I've already did which is what happened to @Crstna case.  Second, they only message me after pestering them through the call center which they had varying info to give. 

Here is the message they've left which I hope would help anyone in the future and they NEED to include this on the request info (Contact Us - My Account Profile - Name Change):

Thank you for providing us with the proof of identity and marriage certificate showing your name. Before we can proceed with changing your name we only need your proof of address.

Any one of the following documents will be accepted as valid for proof of address:

• Utility bill e.g. Gas, Electricity, Water, internet
  • Landline telephone bill
  • Tax bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Credit Card statement showing your address

Please remember that your proof of address will only be accepted as valid if:

• The name and address match the details on your PayPal account exactly.
  • The documents are no older than 12 months and have visible dates to confirm this.

We value you as part of the PayPal family and it is very important for me to address your concerns. I hope you recommend us to your family and friends.

Spoiler
The last one is just making me more frustrated as they've not shown any sort of empathy at all to their muddled process. Robot Mad
Login to Me Too

Crstna
Contributor
Contributor

On October 20th, I submitted scanned copies of my marriage contract and passport to PayPal for them to change my name. I followed all the necessary steps on how to do it. Minutes after sending the request, what I received was an email telling me the step-by-step process on how to change my name... Does it even make sense? I've done it already, what did they have to tell that to me again??? So what I did was reply to that message and told them that I already did what they were asking me to do. I then received another reply from a customer support agent telling me that upon checking, they saw that I have submitted all the necessary documents already and that it will take 7-10 days for it to get approved (all banks all over the world will only do it in 15 minutes). However, obviously until now nothing is happening with my request... I sent a follow up message last night and I still haven't received any response... I will be transferrinng funds to my bank account soon and I don't know if PayPal will really do what it says- "FASTER, safer way to send money"...

Update: It's been 20 days, and after making a lot of follow ups, nothing has happened. They just kept on telling me that the verification process is still on going and it would take 7-10 days, even though I have been waiting for 20 days already.. -_-

Login to Me Too

KarenRose11
Contributor
Contributor

@Crstna and @Berlynn

The best way is to call PayPal directly. It's for free using Skype.

I'm calling them on Skype for free using this number: (area code plus one, eight—eight—eight, two—two—one, one—one—six—one). Select the United States under country selection. Free of charge. 

(I have to type it like that because when I type it as numbers, it's not showing. It will show as this: (+1) Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us"

Or you can check this website: https://jubilynfuertes.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/how-to-call-paypal-via-skype/

This is where I found the 2 numbers of PayPal that we can call for free using Skype.

Their hours of operation are 4 am to 10 pm Monday through Friday, U.S. Pacific Time and 6 am to 8 pm Saturday and Sunday, U.S. Pacific Time.

Login to Me Too

Berlynn
Contributor
Contributor

Update: As of Nov 23, Paypal has change my last name successfully after 3 months of originally requesting it...

BUT and there is a big but here... What they've failed to do is change my middle name as well, I've decided to take my maternal surname as my middle name.

After a few seconds of seeing that my name has finally been changed, my hopes have been shattered to pieces because they've FAILED miserably to read any of my documents of what needs to be updated. I've sent the documents again and typing in all caps for them to see what my name is. Visual cues aside, they've messaged me earlier that they've "successfully" changed my name in some generic, templated, unremorseful, robotic message.

Their whole system of changing the name has been all muddled up. Their slow response and unhelpful guide clearly show their unprofessionalism on how to handle a simple task. It took two of my banks to change my name within 3 business days. The government even beat them to the punch, enduring the long queues at government offices is better than THIS.

I am honestly frustrated beyond what my patience can endure. 

Login to Me Too

KarenRose11
Contributor
Contributor

@Crstna and @Berlynn

The best way is to call PayPal directly. It's for free using Skype. And ask a Supervisor or a Manager. That's what I'm doing sometimes when I'm so angry with them. Lol.

I'm calling them on Skype for free using this number: (area code plus one, eight—eight—eight, two—two—one, one—one—six—one). Select the United States under country selection. Free of charge. 

(I have to type it like that because when I type it as numbers, it's not showing. It will show as this: (+1) Go to https://www.paypal.com/help and click "Call Us"

Or you can check this website: https://jubilynfuertes.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/how-to-call-paypal-via-skype/

This is where I found the 2 numbers of PayPal that we can call for free using Skype.

Their hours of operation are 4 am to 10 pm Monday through Friday, U.S. Pacific Time and 6 am to 8 pm Saturday and Sunday, U.S. Pacific Time.

Login to Me Too

Berlynn
Contributor
Contributor

@KarenRose11 wrote:

@Crstna and @Berlynn

The best way is to call PayPal directly. It's for free using Skype. And ask a Supervisor or a Manager. That's what I'm doing sometimes when I'm so angry with them. Lol.

@KarenRose11

I've done that several times, if not mentioned previously. I am now at a point of utter dismay to have to explain again and again in several instances. It really gives off a bad taste-waiting in the queue, being passed around from one person to the next, being told what I already know, and the list goes on. The worst part of it is there ARE several instances that my call was dropped or making me wait on hold purposefully for me to drop the call. I know how it goes, I've worked in the telco industry before and these kinds of practice is utter rubbish. It really reflects on how indifferent Paypal is knowing I've sent and called on the same request for months now.

I know that I am not the first person to get experience this-as I've heard and read online-this is one method to document for them to see and read, if not they've heard my call recordings, how rubbish they are at handling people's requests but when it comes to money when they're in the winning end, they sure do come through. It makes one wonder.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.