payment reversal scam

gish
Contributor
Contributor

i sold  a item on ebay back on 8 may 2011 and buyer never paid so i opened a dispute to get money and they finally paid on 17th may so i sent off item.

now i have recieved an email off paypal saying they are holding the funds as the buyer had unathorised the payment.

now 10 weeks later the buyer has his item and and i not got proof of postage anymore as i expect everthing is ok now paypal want to see proof of postage.

i am 100% certain the buyer is scamming me as they probably now fine well i aint got reciept anymore and didnt want to pay for item in first place so this way they could get money back.

please help as this has really annoyed me

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16

Seann
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I had the same problem. Except I supplied paypal with proof of delivery and even an email saying that the buyer had paid. Yet they still reversed the payment. Don't hold your breath mate. I know it's not the news you wanted to hear but it's true. Paypal favour the scammer.
Login to Me Too

steffhou

im going through this right now i sware i will boycott the **bleep** out of paypal if i dont get my money .. ive been selling for 3yrs and 1 yr on this student account and i sware they took the 88cents out of my money yet i cant get my money sounds like a scam indeed but best believe i will raise **bleep** if they dont give me my **bleep**.and if i dont get it till those 21 days i will have my proof of shipment and i will never use paypal again everrrrrrrrrrr

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

I think some of you have different issues here so I will try to explain each issue individually.

If you have received a payment and there was a case opened at a later stage advising that the payment may not have been sent by the account holder. You would be requested to provide information on this transaction through your account. If you have the postage receipt, this is additional information that you can provide to us in order for us to investigate the case further for you.

If the case has been closed in the other parties favour and you are unsure why, you should try contacting customer services directly in order to determine what exactly has happened. This can be done by clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of any PayPal webpage. From here, you can then click the Call Us or Email Us option.

If you have received the payment and it has been placed on hold for up to 21 days, there are a few possible reasons for this. The different reasons are as follows:

• You have been an eBay and PayPal member for less than 6 months
• You have an eBay feedback score of less than 100 and do not have a record of good performance
• You have a Buyer dissatisfaction percentage of 5% or greater
• You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of less than 4.5
• You have received fewer than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings in the last 12 months
• You have a high rate of customer disputes
• You’re selling in a high risk category or industry such as, tickets, travel, gift certificates, computers, consumer electronics or mobile phones

You can have the funds released to your account sooner if either of the following two things occurs:

• The buyer leaves you positive feedback
• You provide a tracking number which shows that the item has been delivered over 3 days ago

The only other way that your payment will be released is if 21 days pass without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal being filed on the transaction.

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

pfan86
New Community Member

Hi there,

I have a related issue -  I sold 2 Amazon vouchers by emailing/messaging the voucher codes over christmas. they were both bought by the same buyer, who paid promptly and left positive feedback. Approximately one week later they have reversed the funds. From what I can tell it appears to be a scam - I was actually contacted after the second transaction by a third party asking whether I have had any issues with this buyer - but from what I have read it seems very unlikely I can get PayPal to come down on my side in this matter.

Is there anything I can do, or just sit and wait while the buyer spends my money?

thanks

Paul

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Pfan86,

Intangible items and services are not protected under our Seller Protection Policy. This means that even though the money may have been refunded to your buyer, you are not covered and will not receive a reimbursment from PayPal on the transaction. 

You should try contacting your local police and also your local citizen's advice bureau and they will be able to provide you with additional information and also let you know how you can try to get this resolved and get your money back from your buyer.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

I am totally disillusioned with Paypal at the moment due to the same problem of a fee reversal to a buyer who is totally happy with his purchase, so much so that he has left me with positive feedback, yet Paypal in their infinite wisdom have decided to issue the buyer with a refund which he has not requested, he himself is at a loss as to why I have had this payment taken from my account and refunded to him, the item was paid for via paypal and collected in person which consequently meant I did not have proof of postage,  I did get positive feedback though so why wasn't the refunded amount credited back to me. Now I am left with no payment, no item and no satisfactory explanation from Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Disgusted2012
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal - all you are doing is condoning that scammers can get away with it and you are going to do nothing about it.  It is wrong!

Login to Me Too

torie
Contributor
Contributor

I am browsing through all these posts and I have learnt something.... Its never PayPals fault or problem!!! Contact the police or citizens advice.

Dont you think these services have enough to deal with without having to pick up the pieces of a s**t service that does not deliver what it promises............ "PayPal the safer way to pay" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

pinkpinklady
New Community Member

Omg, i am having exactly the same thing at the moment. Not what any of you probably want to hear, but i am so glad i'm not the only one who's had this!

Buyer bought an item back in november (they were quite a new ebayer) and has now decided to dispute payment, so paypal has refunded them the money!!! I am so confused by it. Have sent paypal messages asking what the actual reason for it all is and have had no reply, luckily i have all my postage reciepts still so went to upload to prove to paypal that i sent it back in november but after spending over 2 hrs trying to upload and send and continously having a error message coming up, despite using different internet settings etc,  i gave up. 

I have sent them the details from the reciept but am i thinking i should just kiss goodbye to my money and item?! I need to pay sellers myself for items won the last few days but really don't think i should have to pay the minus amount on my account where paypal have decided to take my money for no reason.

Grrrrr really really annoyed with this.......i've used paypal for over 7 years with no problems but this has really got to me where i think i won't be using them again!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.