I have been charged $18 from pitney Bowes inc

triplexxx
Contributor
Contributor
Bought an item on eBay paid the full amount postage and shipping but I had to pay pitney Bowes inc another $18 when he is shipping directly to me so I should not have been charged this
Login to Me Too
60 REPLIES 60

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest contacting customer support for assistance.  Pitney Bowes is the 3rd party service that links PayPal to the postal service.  Not sure why you have a bill from them direct.

Login to Me Too

robin12bc
Contributor
Contributor

I HAVE ALSO BEEN CHARGED THE PITNEY-BOWES FEES AFTER PURCHASES FROM TWO AMERICAN EBAY SELLERS, TO A U.K. ADDRESS.

PAYPAL SHOULD WARN YOU OF THESE EXTRA CHARGES AT THE POINT WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO CLICK AND COMPLETE YOUR PURCHASE.

PITNEY-BOWES ARE RIPPING YOU OFF, AND THEY ARE NOT EVEN WEARING A MASK WHILE DOING IT !!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@robin12bc

Nothing to do with the sellers OR paypal.

Those are you IMPORT duties for importing goods in to the UK.

If you bought the items into the country from on holiday then customs would charge you, no different than by post except the postie used to collect them when they delivered but now its all done upfront.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nausiccaa
Contributor
Contributor

Um unless the item you are importing is valued at less thatn £200 then you don't need to pay import duties on it. Last year I bought a supersoaker 2000 from an american seller and the total costs where exactly £100. I complained to PB and they told me it was for shipping and tracking. This was a lie and the tracking never worked. The soaker arrived but they kept telling lie after lie after lie. I filed a chargeback claim and in return they rummaged through my ebay account and sent in  what they thought was proof. I replied with a screen shot of HMRC's rules regarding import duty and got my money back within a week.

Now they have done it again and I must once again report it as unauthorised. This means being locked out of paypal, resetting passwords and trying to remember answers to security questions I created  a year ago.

I don't need this. No one ever does and it just provides me with another reason to stop using ebay.

Login to Me Too

Jabbar91

Hi, may i know, how do you do the claim to PB?

Login to Me Too

kanndae2003
New Community Member

I recently discovered I had a payment to Pitney Bowes as well.

After a little investigating, my purchase my eBay had been divided up between actual purchase price going to the seller and the delivery charges going to Pitney Bowes.

Don't know if your issue has been resolved or not, but I would think that the $18 was the shipping listed for your item, and the transactions occuring on the same day show just the purchase price of items excluding shipping price from the overall price that you were given to pay in total

Login to Me Too

auban
Contributor
Contributor

I too have faced spurious - indeed rip-off - charges from Pitney Bowes.  I had to pay over $24 for the sending of a corkscrew from the US to France.  This was over and above the postage charge asked for by the seller.  I told the seller to send the corkscrew instead to an address in Colorado, which he did.  I applied to eBay for a refund, but was unable to get any help from people who sound like zombies and who are not native English-speakers.  The combined postal charges almost doubled the price of the corkscrew!

Moreover, even if Pitney Bowes do send an item, THEY DO NOT PAY ANY CUSTOMS COSTS because they use the United States Postal Service.  Small items are of course generally not opened or examined by European customs, but go straight through to the addressee.  I know two such addressees, who paid fees for non-existent services and received their item through ordinary mail, with no customs examination, no customs declaration even provided, and no address from which the packages were alleged to have been sent.  There was in fact no evidence of anyone doing anything except popping the items in a post-bag and laughing all the way to the bank.

Pitney Bowes are thus committing massive fraud, aided and abetted by eBay, and based on the average American's total ignorance of the liberal world outside the USA, let alone the European Union.

I have cancelled my account with eBay, because this organisation, for so long generally beneficial, is now a party to a fraud which could amount to millions of dollars.

Login to Me Too

Just wondering if you were able to get your money back, I have been charged 36.00 dollars but it's not coming up as a paypal transaction.
Login to Me Too

auban
Contributor
Contributor

No, I heard nothing at all from e-bay, PayPal nor (of course) Pitney Bowes.  These charges are a rip-off and probably illegal in various countries.

I cancelled my e-bay account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.