Fake email saying I've made a paypal payment?

mandypo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there - I've received an email this morning, which I think is fake - saying I had made a payment to 'Go Facebook Ltd' which I haven't made... I've checked my paypal account, accessing paypal using the link in an email I trust as it was for a payment I made last night... What should I do? Is my account safe?

Please help! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

carolathome

My husband received the same email today to, and he doesnt even use paypal, but I do, but different email address etc, my own account, I have not received anything, he has also just this last hour received another email that looks like its from paypal, saying his account has been limited and to click the link to log in to his account, of course this isnt going to happen. I have forwarded both emails to spoof@paypal.com, but as yet, not heard a thing from them.

Plus in the last hour, he has found one dated Nov 2012, for the almost identical thing, but I can confirm, having a joint bank account, no moneys ever showed on our statements either for paypal or for Facebook, having said that its still a worry, and I just wish they would get back to him to put his mind at rest.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

These scammers are always sending out fake emails that they say are from paypal or banks.

I get them on a regular basis. Just delete and ignore.

Paypal emails always address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith and never Dear Member etc. They also don't put in links for you to enter sensitive financial or account info.

If you think it may be real and there is a concern re your account then don't use any links just log in as you would normally and check your account and if nothing in there delete the email.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

billieann

Hi, I'm new here , but I am very worried . I have received 22 emails in the space of 5mins saying I have purchased from ebay.  I have not bought this item and have checked my account and no money has been sent.   I have received the odd email like this before and promptly deleted them but 22 of them is abit overkill.  Anyone else ever had this volumn of spoofs before?

Login to Me Too

Ellenw
New Community Member

I just got one saying I had made a purchase of almost 1000 dollars (am in the UK) ... Am horrified... Also forwarded to spoof , thansk for that info 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.