Email about monthly statement

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

I've just received an email from PayPal saying my monthly statement is ready to view online. I've never received such an email before, and I don't want to receive them in future, but I don't see how to disable them in my PayPal preference settings. How do I stop them?

There was another thread last year about this, suggesting that the email is a phishing attempt, but there was no official reply from PayPal and there was apparently no resolution. Anyway, the email I've received looks genuine to me.

The email says, ominously, "you will receive monthly statements from now on", with the implication "whether you like it or not". 😞

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

bedouin
The easiest solution (aside from deleting your PayPal account) is to create a filter with your E-Mail client/service. Here is the Yahoo filter I just made: https://imgur.com/IggGbIh
Login to Me Too

enmoku
New Community Member

In an effort to stop this since Paypal has not done so on their side, I've had to resort to simply marking those mails as spam since that's what they've become. I did not ask for these and you're not giving me option to opt-out of them. Filter would perhaps be optimal, but sorry, I filter desired mail, undesired gets filtered as spam.

The worst part is, you're sending these when there's Absolutely No Activity when you yourself claimed this was to monitor unusual activity.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Enmoku,

Thank you for posting in our Community.

I am sorry to hear that this is happening; I can understand your frustration in this case. If you are not able to unsubscribe for these emails please contact our customer service team by email or phone (going to Contact Us at the bottom of the page) and they would be happy to help you to adjust these settings.

You can also contact us via Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal and we'll be happy to follow up. 

Jessica

Login to Me Too

robelliott2125
New Community Member

This is the thing Jessica, there are no options whatsoever to disable these emails.

I've also setup a filter within my Gmail account to select these emails as spam, but there's nothing within the paypal settings to disable them.

Please stop suggesting we contact customer services, but feedback to whomever is in control and inform them people are unhappy with the inability to disable this.

Unless you have an opt out feature, this is in-fact deemed spam.

Login to Me Too

nilfalse
New Community Member

I'm going to also join your club of spam haters.

These messages (View your recent transactions now) started getting sent to me several months ago. I hadn't had such issue earlier.

Have no idea what additional security such e-mail may have.

Login to Me Too

Sander1
New Community Member

Yes indeed!

It makes no sense to send a monthly reminder when we get multiple emails for every transaction we make.

The only thing it does is give us the impression that Paypal is a spammer.

Login to Me Too

roelvanacker
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal should know, when sending out monthly e-mails, they should include WITHIN THE E-MAIL the link to unsubscribe from these unsolicited e-mails (and quite unnessecary e-mails).

That's quite a basic e-mail policy, I think everyone would agree. Not mentioning that option instantly makes you think this e-mail is spam, or phishing. It makes Paypal look pretty bad as a company, they are stepping into the same boat as some dodgy companies who send out unsolicited e-mails without the option to unsubscribe (i.e. spam, as we call it).

Paypal, just stop it.

It seems this has been going on since 2013, that's not a mistake, but bad a policy they don't want to change.

Frustrating.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys.

Thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to hear that you are receiving these emails and you would like to disable them on your account.

If you are unable to do this through your account, I would advise you to reach out to our customer service team directly so that we can look into this further for you.

You can do this by contacting us directly via Twitter @AskPayPal or via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and we can look into this further for you.

David.

Login to Me Too

holm
New Community Member

For the love of God, will you add the option to disable these emails? Why do we have to contact customer support to get rid of this monthly spam? I get it even when there have been absolutely no activity on my account. The only thing that makes me do is worry without need.

Login to Me Too

Klaatu
New Community Member

Hello David.

Thank you for your reply.

I am also receiving these unwanted "Recent Transactions" emails. I did just contact customer support. The answer I was given was that it's impossible to opt-out of these emails. I was given the advice to block them in my email client.

What nonsense is this? I will from now on also mark these emails as spam, since that IS indeed what they are: "unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses".

I find this practice of sending emails each month without any meaningful information unacceptable!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.