Email about monthly statement

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

I've just received an email from PayPal saying my monthly statement is ready to view online. I've never received such an email before, and I don't want to receive them in future, but I don't see how to disable them in my PayPal preference settings. How do I stop them?

There was another thread last year about this, suggesting that the email is a phishing attempt, but there was no official reply from PayPal and there was apparently no resolution. Anyway, the email I've received looks genuine to me.

The email says, ominously, "you will receive monthly statements from now on", with the implication "whether you like it or not". 😞

Login to Me Too
46 REPLIES 46

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi ghewson,

Thanks for posting your query on the UK Community Forum!

Based on the information you provided in your post, it sounds like you received an email that was sent by our marketing team advising you that this feature is available to you in your PayPal account. If you are dubious about the authenticity of an email claiming to be from PayPal, please feel free to forward it to spoof@paypal.com and we will investigate it on your behalf.

I don’t believe that you will receive this email on a monthly basis, but if you wish to disable this feature, please follow these steps:

To deactivate Monthly Account Statements:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/
  2. Click 'Profile' near the top of the page.
  3. Select 'My money'.
  4. In the 'More financial settings' section click 'Monthly account statements'.
  5. Select 'No' and click 'Save'.

Please repost and update us if this helps resolve your query!

Maria

Login to Me Too

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I just checked back here after receiving a second email.

I went into my Monthly Account Statements, and the No button was already selected. I clicked on Save, and got the error message "You have not changed any preferences".

I clicked on Yes and Save, and the page said "You have activated Monthly Statements." and "You are currently receiving Monthly Account Statements. Your next statement will be ready by 15 Sep 2012."

So I still don't know why I received those emails saying "Your monthly statement is now ready to view online. Simply log in to see details of your recent activity."

I've now changed the setting back to No. I wonder if I'll receive another email next month?

Login to Me Too

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

So, I've now received yet another email. The subject is "<name>, view your PayPal activity at any time." The message starts "Your monthly statement is now ready to view online".

As well as the settings I checked last time, I've also checked my account settings / communication preferences. There's nothing relevant there that I can see.

I don't want to receive these emails every month! How can I stop them, please?

Login to Me Too

Chel42uk
New Community Member

I've had these for the last two months too.  First one I assumed was phishing so ignored it. Second one I have looked at  more closely and appears genuine.  I have followed the advice above any my setting is already set to No. Seems like there is an issue with it ignoring the setting

Login to Me Too

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

I received my fourth email yesterday,  so I emailed PayPal Support. They reviewed my account, and confirmed I shouldn't be getting the emails. They asked me to forward the last email I received to them (which I've now done), and they'll escalate the problem to the technical team. So I await developments.

Login to Me Too

ChrisBirkett
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue, and was wondering if you had heard back from the technical team or had your issue fixed? I know I could easily use gmail filters to delete these emails, but I object to being unable to opt out on principle!

Login to Me Too

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the email every month since reporting the problem to PayPal, and every month I've chased them!

However, yesterday I received an apologetic email saying the responsible department are still dealing with the problem, but in roughly a month's time the notifications are being "decommissioned" and I won't receive any more. I guess (hope) that means decommissioned for everyone.

Login to Me Too

ghewson
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've just had another notification. Let's see what happens next month...

Login to Me Too

Ianct
New Community Member

It is April and I received yet another annoying email reminding me I "can log into my paypal account anytime to see my recent transactions"

This is really bugging me.

The instructions above from a paypal moderator were worthless because under Profiles>money> there is no "More financial settings" option, and hence no "'Monthly account statements'" with which to turn off this option!

Hopefully the decommissioning mentioned by ghewson is for everyone!

This marketing option should be easy to turn off, especially since it is going to people who are clearly paypal customers already!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.