Edit/Remove Phone Number

Alman
Contributor
Contributor

For some strange reason I cannot edit or remove the Work/Business Number I have stored in my account. I highlight the Work Number, press Edit , make the changes, press Save, and then get the "Sorry, an error occurred after you clicked the last link" message. The same happens when I try and Remove the Work Number as well. All my other telephone numbers work fine. I can even add a new Work Number, then edit/remove it. It is just a problem with my old Work Number.

I tried sending an email to the help email but they "helpfully" sent me back information on how to change my password. Obviously my email was not read and then ignored, so thought I would try here.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Alman
Contributor
Contributor

Further Update: When I now press on the Remove button, it goes to page saying that the number has been removed, but right below it is the list of phone numbers with the old Work/Busines number still listed.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there Alman,

We can manually remove this phone number for you. I would advise that you call or email us directly by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of any PayPal page.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

martinwh1
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting exactly the same problem. I cannot see how the response from Siobhan works as using the email option simply puts you back into the "loop" and you just get an email back explainign what to do when you have forgotten your password! I have had three of these now - all say reply if we have not answered your problem but the replies are ignored. Needless to say I am not prepared to line Paypal's pockets by phoning on their premium rate line as, at the end of the day, havong a defunct work phone number is not really a problem from my point of view.  

Login to Me Too

goldberg2
Contributor
Contributor

I have also been round this loop several times trying to remove an obsolete work telephone number, or unsuccessfully have a PayPal support person remove it for me.  Any feedback I send PayPal about this problem appears to be ignored.

The PayPal website appears to offer the user the functionality to remove a telephone number, but at the final step one always gets the message 'Sorry, an error occurred after you clicked the last link".

Why does PayPal appear to be unable to fix this on their web site ? - a number of other customers have complained about this.

The risk is that the obsolete number might be used by PayPal in the event of a fraud alert - in my case the obsolete telephone number was my former place of work which I left over a year ago, so any fraud warning would certainly fail.

Login to Me Too

martinwh1
Contributor
Contributor

This problem has been around for ages - Paypal are aware of it and are "working hatrd to fix it" , at least that's what they told me 3 months ago!

In my experience, solution is to email them, their first reply will be about a random subject totally different from your query but you just keep replying until they manually delete the offending phone number. 

Login to Me Too

goldberg2
Contributor
Contributor

I tested this again on 3rd December 2011 and was then able to delete an obsolete phone number.

Took nearly a year of prompting PayPal, though.

Login to Me Too

goldberg2
Contributor
Contributor

I eventually spoke to a helpfull PayPal agent who tested the remove phone number functionality and who admitted that it appeared not to be working.  The agent promised to log this as a problem to be fixed.

Some weeks later checked again (3rd December 2011) and was able to remove an obsolete phone number through the Profile menu.

Thanks very much PayPal (but did take nearly a year of prompting). 

Login to Me Too

Cyberdog
Contributor
Contributor
Well, it's Wed 7th Jan 2015, yes - 3.75 years later and guess what? I get the same message every time I try to delete a number. Problem not fixed.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.