Cannot cancel a pending paypal transaction.

slashin
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered an item from a website and the transaction has been pending for a long time. I want to cancel the payment, so i can order again. There cancel button doesnt appear under action and i dont want to to order another one then the pending transaction completes and i get 2.

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Vladimir_s
New Community Member

I to have the same problem. I see that people have had the same problems for years and nobody fixed that.

I will never use PayPal again. Also, I will say to everyone about my experiences here.

Login to Me Too

c4ble
Contributor
Contributor
The truth is , it is not in paypal interest to get you your money back. This happens to so many transactions , if you know anything about banking you would know all the interest on holding money is a grand sum . As paypal becomes more popular and widely used this interest fee would have grown as such probably paying wages and increasing profit. Paypal have no rival so they will not attempt to do anything about it. Maybe one day there will be a rival company forcing an improvement in service. Until that day they will continue to make the maximum interest out of a transaction that can clearly see has failed. Even with confirmation from both parties ( which they do not need) Also larger companies are making use of the automated service and will not manually log in to cancel payments. PayPal are aware of these larger merchants. And offer no improvement in the service it provides. Meaning the large company itself know a payment has failed within minutes , yet paypal treat them as a smaller user who would have the ability to log in and make actions . Knowing logically they cannot give log in details to a vast number of call center employees , would be like giving a credit card security code out. ( I would be very surprised of this post isn't removed ) But I thought a note from somebody with electronic banking knowledge would maybe help
Login to Me Too

Amanda_ph
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem .I thought I will feel secured if I pay through paypal but its opposite happen.They hold my payment and keep ignoring my emails.
Login to Me Too

Clampers1968
Contributor
Contributor

A private sale, the seller wanted payment via PayPal. But he mistyped his email address. It's now marked as pending and I can't cancel the transaction - THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!     HELP PLEASE!

Login to Me Too

Tommygunn777
Contributor
Contributor
Exactly the same I was given the wrong email .com instead of .co.uk then the seller realised and I made another payment which went through but now the initial one is stuck pending with no option to cancel, I want that money back why should I wait 30 days? I should have the power to cancel that unclaimed money back to my account instantly this is absolutely scandalous.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tommygunn777

The cancel option being present depends on if the email address actually exists OR if its linked to that sellers paypal account.

BUT if there is NO cancel option keep an eye on it as if that email address belongs to another person then its possible that the payment may be claimed and then you would have to open a dispute to get the funds back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tommygunn777
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the reply! So basically because of someone else's error I have to be without £80 for 30 days despite having already payed the guy using the correct email, in the hope that nobody using the similar email address claims that money. In the meantime there's no way that despite me realising the money hasn't been claimed and it's sitting there, contacting PayPal to notify them of the error will not result in me being redeemed that cash for 30 days? I just want to know the reason why it can't just be 'cancelled' on my authority, it's my money. This is just plain wrong IMO we need some authority to be able to cancel pending transactions.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tommygunn777

I think its because you authorised the payment to be sent to that email address so they allow time for the payment to be ''claimed'' by the person that owns that email address.

This is because they may be a new seller and so once you have paid they are allowed time to claim their first payment.

Paypal would not interfere in that procedure BUT there is no harm in phoning them and asking if they will cancel it for you OR you could phone your bank or card issuer and ask them to release the pending payment back to your account as it won't be needed for that transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Stefanlfcsg
Contributor
Contributor
Hello i just have 2 payments canceled by the seller and paypal still took off from my account the money , anything i can do ?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.