Can a payment received get back into the senders account? Fraud? Please help!

Rachael92
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am selling my car on ebay, someone from Ireland has messaged me saying they want to do the 'buy it now' price but she asked to pay directly into my paypal via my email address and the send payment option. Once the money has been received and the car has been collected, can the lady get her money back from my paypal, even if I transfer it into my bank account? I dont want to end up loosing the car and the money. Can this be fraud or genuine. Please help, thanks Rachael x

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Good guys 1 : Scammers 0         Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

beefmister87
New Community Member

Hello guys,

I should of read this before hand. Currently selling my car and a 'nice lady' replied and said she was looking for a birthday present for her brother in law etc and wanted it to be a surprise. That she works in the marines and currently overseas so would she be able to pay via paypal. I stupidly thought aww thats nice and yes i dont see a problem thinking that paypal was a nice secure payment method. Got an email from paypal saying i had this money and to send on the money to western union for shipping and handling fees. Address was nigeria and said riiiiight at the bottom that once payment has been recieved i would then recieve $3000 dollars so IMMEDIATLY came on here thinking OMG this is totally wrong. Now i havent got any money in my paypal account replied to the person saying no sorry this isn't right etc BUT am i ok? if i dont have money in my paypal account from them? Can they get my details or anything? I havent sent or transfered any money or anything :S

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi beefmister87,

Welcome to the UK Community Forum and thanks for posting!

You are right to be wary about the person who has been contacting you. Can I just confirm, you have not sent any money to them? I would strongly recommend not engaging with them any further. It would surprise me greatly if they sent you any payment to your PayPal account, and they would not be able to access your details from your email address.

I hope this helps,

Maria 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.