Can a payment received get back into the senders account? Fraud? Please help!

Rachael92
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am selling my car on ebay, someone from Ireland has messaged me saying they want to do the 'buy it now' price but she asked to pay directly into my paypal via my email address and the send payment option. Once the money has been received and the car has been collected, can the lady get her money back from my paypal, even if I transfer it into my bank account? I dont want to end up loosing the car and the money. Can this be fraud or genuine. Please help, thanks Rachael x

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

OK firstly i would say no don't do it.

There is no seller protection with paypal for motor vehicles.

Seller protection is for tangible items sent in the post only that can be sent trackable to prove delivery to the buyer.

I would refuse anything but cash on collection for a car.

There are car scams going about but would need more info before knowing if yours is.

However it would make no difference to my advice...NO to paypal for cars.

Even if you withdraw it to your bank account she can then do a chargeback and paypal would put your account in negative until you paid them back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Rachael92
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot, it does sound a scam, because she said she was getting it for her sons birthday and she works away so cant do cash on collection or direct bank transfer. She said she would arrange the shipping etc and get someone to come pick it up. Sounds too good to be true really, and she said she would pay the full asking price as it seemed a great car. Yes think i will be safe rather than sorry and not accept, unless its cash on collection. Thanks for your reply! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yep thats a scam.

She does not want your car and i bet she is in Nigeria and not Ireland.

She will tell you she will send you more money so you can pay the shipping agent for her BUT the payment for the shipping agent will be via western union. The payment notice you get to say she has paid will be a fake paypal email. Then once you have sent her the western union payment you will hear no more.

So yes a scam. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Rachael92
Contributor
Contributor

Some idiots out there.......!!

Thanks a lot for your help 🙂 

Login to Me Too

HessCoulter
Contributor
Contributor

This exact situation is happening to me right now. I am trying to sell something and this woman wanted to buy it with paypal so I set up an account. Then she said that she couldn't pay the shipping company for some reason or other and that she would forward me the money so that I would get it on top of the payment for goods so then I could pay the shipping. And I accidentally input my bank account number wrong a few days ago and only realized today when I got an email threatening legal action if I didn't pay Western Union $500 of money I don't have and never received. And now this "woman" isn't answering my emails. This probably was a scam I realize that now. What should/can I do?

P.S. I have no idea how to post a question this was the only thing I could figure out to do.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Do you mean you did or did not pay the money...I hope you didn't.

Just think why would paypal ask you to use a rival service ie western union?  And you should NEVER send anything to a buyer unless the funds are showing in your paypal account.

If you have not paid her then just ignore the emails and don't even reply, if you have paid her then you have been scammed I'm afraid and you can't get your money back.  Smiley Sad

You mention your bank account.....I hope you did not give any bank account info???? If you did then you need to contact your bank asap. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

steve-m-p
Contributor
Contributor

My daughter has had something like this. A woman in Ireland wants to buy her car for her son  She hsa paid money into my daughter's account including some money to pay for someone to collect the car.  However, the courier has to be paid by western union transfer at a post office.  An email supposedly from PayPal says that they will not release the money until she emails 'paypal' with the receipt details.

I have asked this question elsewhere on the forums.  It sounds like a scam, but money is in my daughter's account so is she OK?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I answered your other post.

The money won't stay in your daughters account > once you have sent the western union payment it will be reversed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

steve-m-p
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for your help and advice.  She has now been thoroughly convinced to stay clear.

The strange thing is, I got her log in details and checked the account, and there is no sign of the money ever having been there.  Lesson learnt!!

Cheers

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.