You must add funds to your PayPal account before sending more money.

AndyAitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Support

For hours now I've been trying to make a payment for someone who has done some work for me. It's just $50.  I've been using PP for years and never had a problem.  However, this time, rather than make the payment, I get the error:

Whenever there are insufficient funds in my PP account, the money is automatically deducted from my bank account. But not this time!  I have no idea why this is, so perhaps someone could help me understand?

I'm currently trying to enjoy my holiday overseas but for the past half a day I've been trying to pay someone for their services.  Anyway, I called my bank and they transferred funds over for me.  The money has been there for many hours now, just winking at me (about $150 plus). Yet when I go to make the payment, I'm still getting the same error message:

It really is most frustrating  as I'm sure you can appreciate.  Please, somebody, anybody, explain to me what I need to do so that I can pay my vendor and maintain my reputation 😉

Thanks in advance

Andy

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

All i can say is that if you want to pay someone in dollars then you have to have the same currency in your paypal balance and it has to be cleared.

Secondly do you have any ongoing disputes at the moment?

Failing those 2 offerings I'm out of ideas. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AndyAitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hello kernowlass.

No, I have no ongoing disputes at all. I transferred UK pounds and then converted it successfully into US dollars. I then tried to pay again to the client and got the same message.

I have never not-paid anyone for anything on time, ever, and this is making me look pretty bad unfortunately, yet i have no way of knowing what is going on, so I can't even update the merchant.  My account status reads like this:

Available balance in USD (primary): $157.47 USD

Total balance (all currencies, available and pending) converted to USD: $157.47 USD

That's all I know I'm afraid. Not sure where to turn or what to explain to the vendor, who btw, is a stranger to me 😞

Thanks in advance for any more suggestions.

Andy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Just one more thought, you are talking in dollars and this is the UK boards so is your recipient US or UK?

If they are UK is their account set up to receive dollars as I know mine is only set up to receive sterling pounds but of course i could add dollars if needed. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AndyAitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi kernowlass

My recipient is in the USA. Most of them are to be honst, US or Asia somewhere, but I'm British and my account and bank details are UK based.

There's never a month goes by where i'm not paying someone for something, somewhere in the world, and never before have i been promted to upload funds before making any payment of any amount.

I'm supposed to be onl holiday too, and this quite bothersome as I'm sure you can imagine.  It's not the amount, of course, it's the fact that someone has done some work for me and now I can't pay them when i promised i would 😞

Andy

Login to Me Too

AndyAitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Support Forum

Well, I'm still here, and still on holiday trying to have a nice time with family and friends, yet I find myself repeatedly going back to a computer trying to send the money to the merchant, again, but to no avail, again, and looking for support from someone, anyone, that so far hasn't been forthcoming.

I'm also curious as to why there is not 24/7/365 day a year call center support? After all, it's a 24/7/365 day a year operation you're running here that spans the globe?

When i first came to these help forums, i thought the aggressive tone of some of the posters was a little unnecessary and disrespectful, but I'm beginning to understand now how folk's patience gets tested by PayPal's causal, and seemingly uncaring approach to support issues.

I've also raised a support ticket and so far have only had auto-responses suggesting i visit various links for a solution. I mean, c'mom, someone, anyone, must have seen all these common complaints a million times before, meaning the answers are at your fingertips.

I don't mean to be rude, but does anyone in this organisation give a toss about the people that have made the fortunes for this company by using its services?  Without US, there is NO PayPal, and it might be a good idea for those at the top to remember that. Or perhaps it's wrong of me to think such a thing?

Look, I have money in my account. I have a backup bank account, and a backup credit card. My status is verified. I've been using PayPal for years.  So my simple question is this:

Why am I getting this error, repeatedly, when trying to pay someone for their services:

IMPORTANT REQUEST

Is there anyone from PayPal who will contact the merchant on my behalf and assure them this is a PayPal issue and nothing to do with me personally delaying, or avoiding payment? I'm sure that's how it must be looking right now. And if not, why not. I don't think that's an unreasonable request under the circumstances, is it?

May I suggest that if there is not 'real' support in these forums, it might be a good idea to not direct customers to them for help and advice? I mean, it's just one more place to waste time and build on frustrations.

Thanks for reading, and please, let's see if we can't shed some light on this issue.  This is my money, and my reputation at stake we talking about, as I'm sure is the case with many other irate customers found around these pages.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Login to Me Too

vipvilla
New Community Member

Hi Andy'like you I have had this problem last 4 days. I have over $1000 in my account and am trying to send $200 to a registered Paypal user.

I too got the message

I sent an e mail to PP....auto response like you.

Today I called them and spent 30 mins on the phone (a large part waiting in a queue). Eventuall the third agaent said she would refresh my account. She did this and yes I was able to xfer the $200. Now 3 hours later I am trying to send $150 to another PP user, and guess what ? Yes same F...G message.

This is very frustrating and PP are letting us down badly here.

Login to Me Too

L33tReaper
New Community Member

Hello,

I recently noticed that paypal doesn't want to use my paypal funds instead it goes straight for my debit card.

I have money in paypal and my debit card but thing is I would like to use up my paypal balance before I use money from the bank. I have tried changing payment method but only option that comes up is credit card/debit card. How do I use my paypal balance?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi L33tReaper, 

Is the balance on your account in the same currency that you are trying to send your payments with. If not I would recommend that you convert the balance to currency that you normally use and try to send the payment again.

Here's how to convert your balance to another currency:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click 'Profile' near the top of the page.
  3. Click 'My money.'
  4. Click 'Currencies' beside PayPal balance.
  5. Enter the amount you want to convert under 'Currency Exchange.'
  6. Select the currency to convert the funds from.
  7. Select the currency to convert the funds to.
  8. Click 'Calculate' to see the currency conversion.
  9. Click 'Review Exchange' to review the transfer.
  10. Click 'Exchange Currency' to confirm the transfer. 

I hope this helps and thanks for post

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Kaseta
New Community Member

well i get same problem same odd message "add funds"

this is seriosly frustrating i did convert to euros as merchant is in EU still same error

just take money from acount whats wrong with you ppl, advertizing heavily in UK pay by Paypal hassle free apiers i get more hassle then usual! further more curency convertion rate is crap and you get slaped comision charge?

no paula this did not work what you sugested and i highly doubd any of you can help at paypal 🙂

best regards

Rytis

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.