Unable to link Bank Account SOLUTION / FIX (10.19.2015)

bertha101
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I'm posting this as a solution / fix for the following:

An unknown service error occurred

Unable to link bank account 

Unable to add a bank account

Please try again at a later date

FIX: Add 0's after your account number until the total number is 15 digits.

For instance, if your account number was 123456789111 you should try entering 123456789111000

REASON: This is a problem with Paypal's website. The fill-in box expects you to enter a minimum of 15 digits. If you enter less than 15 digits, it will not go through.

Your bank account number can be either 9, 12, or 15 digits (this varies depending on your bank. If you are in the US, it also varies by your state). This is why SOME paypal users are able to link their bank accounts, but not others. Basically, the fill-in box is *expecting* there to be 15 digits - it has not been programmed to accept less than 15 digits and is not able to account for the variation in account numbers. 

This is essentially a result of poor website management and coding. Unfortunately, this has been a problem since at least 2013. 

If this fix worked for you, please reply and bump up the thread so others can see this and get their issue resolved! Hopefully Paypal takes a look at this and hires a proper computer science intern who can fix it for them! Thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Syvfjell
New Community Member

Doesn't work, can't add figures after the 11 paypal ask for.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Syvfjell,

Thanks for posting in the forum and apologies for the late reply. Since we are unable to follow up on this here, if you are still having this issue, the best option would be to contact us via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal and we will help. You can also select the Contact link in your PayPal account to reach out to us by phone or email. 

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.