Add Email - Error

Palumbo
Contributor
Contributor

Since yesterday morning, i've been trying to add an email to my PayPal account. Every time I do it, I'll get this:

"We're sorry. We're having a temporary problem with our system and your request did not go through. Please try again in a few hours."

I only have one email linked to the account, leaving me with 7 to add in the future. That's great, if I could just add 1 for now...

Strange thing is, i get an email from PayPal asking to confirm new email address. Gives me a link or the option of entering a code. Here are the problems with this:

I try the link, it takes me to a page where I need to enter password to confirm. I enter my password, it says it's wrong (when it really isn't. I've tried this more than a dozen times over the last 24 hours. Please don't assume I'm an invalid who kept his caps lock on, or can't copy and paste properly). So that's a no-go.

The entering a code option tells me to go to my PayPal page and find unde the To-Do box, "verify email". I don't have anything under my To-Do box.

So where do i go from here? Says wait a few hours, I've waited more than 24. I don't see waiting around for anothe 24 hours proving to be much help. I've tried using 3 different browsers, and tried doing it through a different internet connection on a different device. No luck.

I did some searches, and a PayPal rep said "this error has been cropping up as of today". That post was from 2011. Guess it fell to the back burner?

Thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Try starting over but, before you do, delete your web browser's cookies, temp files and history.  Then close the browser, reopen it, login to your account and try.

If the issue still occurs, suggest contacting customer support as they can look at your account and help you.

Login to Me Too

Palumbo
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think read my post fully. I said I'd tried several different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE) and three different devices on two different internet connections.

Contacted customer support yesterday, waiting for a reply.

Login to Me Too

Harobed7
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm having EXACTLY the same issues! Did you resolve your because I have been getting the 'technical problem - please try in a few hours message for over 2 days now.

My problem is that the email address I am currently using is now obselete and will not send or receive messages. I have sent an email to Paypal but as it uses the obselete address I don't think they will get it. I've tried phoning them but you get and automated man telling you how to change the address. Pity he doesn't mention the 'technical problem' message when he talks you through that bit!

I would be very interested to know if you managed to resolve this problem and if so, how you did it.

Many thanks

Login to Me Too

Angrydane
New Community Member

I agree what's with PayPal all l want is to change a few letters      Amazon2 minuets and it was done. l have gone along the same route loads of emails  to my new email address     which somehow does not travel to my actual paypal account  unrecognised password  which l have always used. ugh

Login to Me Too

Ingrid294
New Community Member

I have been trying for several weeks now to have my email adress confirmed by Paypal.  The system is always not working and I'm told to try again in a couple of hours. All the numbers emailed me are refused.  Sometimes I am able to pay through Paypal when on eBay and sometimes not... it's tatally random it seems.

Plus Paypal seems to think I'm trying to open a new account on my phone instead of listening and hearing that I want to link my phone to my existing account. I'm finding it all extremely frustrating. ARGGG!!! 

Login to Me Too

Ingrid294
New Community Member

Oh yes and I forgot the system wants me to add a credit card to the new email... which is already linked... then refuses to accept it saying it's linked to another account. Give me patience!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

wontaddemail
New Community Member
I am also getting the same runaround as mentioned in other posts on this thread. WHAT IS WRONG PAYPAL-GOT A SOLUTION YET-DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT?????
Login to Me Too

reedybloke
Contributor
Contributor

hi

exactly same problem.

need to add another email address but get the 

We're sorry. We're having a temporary problem with our system and your request did not go through. Please try again in a few hours.

error message for a week.

Will try clearing cookies etc and try again.

contacted ebay who sent singularly unhelpful reply, i presume from a robot

Login to Me Too

ppeace
Contributor
Contributor

This problem can be caused by trying to add an email address you have already used on another of your PayPal accounts. I have provided PayPal with feedback on this.

The first error message, 'We're sorry. We're having a temporary problem with our system and your request did not go through. Please try again in a few hours' is misleading. It suggests trying again every few hours when in fact it is caused by the user not the system, and it is not temporary. No open feedback is provided to help the customer recognise this. 

Then you receive an email to suggest you've succeeded in adding the new email address. This is misleading again because a) you were told there was a problem with the system that prevented it and b) you haven't, in fact, added the email address and this becomes clear when you try to confirm it.

Then, when you try to log in after clicking the link in the confirmation request email, you receive a second error message, 'Please check your email address and password and try again.' This is misleading again because the email address should be valid (after all you clicked through from PayPal's email asking you to confirm it!) And you know you entered the correct password.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.