Provide information about your account.

sneak310
Contributor
Contributor

I've read some other threads on paypal's forum as well as some other various forums where paypal attempts to enforce this "nazi-style" policy on it's users.

I know other people have their own stories on how paypal is in the wrong, but I'd love to share mine now.

It all started when I noticed the advertisement claiming I could apply for a debit card from paypal, to remove the wait time of transferring funds to my bank account.. and be able to use the debit card like a normal bank card basically.

After "applying" for the debit card (entering my date of birth) I was notified that my application was declined. I was not given an explanation as to why it was declined, just like the other user's cases. Okay, so now you figure oh okay so story is over right? Nope. Normally when you are declined for something that is the end, no more hassle. But PayPal thinks they can shove their unlawful polocies in our faces demanding we send them useless information.

The paypal site lists things that I can and cannot do "if my account becomes limited". It clearly shows that I can do everything besides close my account, so normally you would say "oh, no problem then.. I can continue on with my normal transactions, etc.." But this is also not the case. I called PayPal and the rude lady on the phone insisted on interrupting my every sentence, she claimed that the limitations are already in effect, and the account will be limited even more if I do not comply with their demands (what is this, terrorism?) She told me that what was on the site was incorrect, by saying "Trust me, I'm right". 

So I gave up on that rude lady with a total lack of manners and decided to call another day. Meanwhile, in email PayPal continued to harass me for a copy of my photo ID, even though I explained I am not interested in the debit card. If I have no interest in the cause of the reason why they ask for my ID, there is no reason I should still provide it to them. This time while I was on the phone the man was not as rude as the woman but was a bit stubborn just like her. He insisted that he was correct and if I ask the authorities they would agree with him. He denies the Privacy Act of 1974. He says that the Patriot Act overrules the Privacy Act. And that I must meet the requirements or my account will be limited. He said I have no option to close the account at all, now, or after the dead line comes up. No option to close my own account with a company? Nazi much? To make matters worse, he also interrupted me quite often and there was even a moment where he interrupted me and continued to talk over my voice for about 10 seconds. During this time, I of coruse did not bow down to his rude gesture. I continued to say what I was trying to say, and since he obviously wasn't listening I repeated myself again afterwards. There is NO situation while an employee of a company (especially as large as paypal) should be competing in voice levels witha  customer just to force his point of view on the subject onto the customer. The employees here need to take a big lesson in respect, and courtesy, this is NOT how to run a successful business. He was telling me that this whole thing is for "security purposes" and that it's incase of "unauthorized actions on my account". Oh so it's fine for someone to login on my account and send large sums of money to other accounts without any problem, but not okay to apply and be declined for a debit card with PayPal? Also he said that the reason why no information is given on why we are declined is for the same purpose. He told me that it's "completely different" for someone to login to my account and send money when I gave them no permission to do so, as opposed to something harmless: Applying and getting declined for a debit card. Not only did all that take place, but.. all the logins from my account have been on the very same static IP address. There is no doubt about it I am the only user on my account, and no reason to believe otherwise.

I have my SSN on my account, as well as all other required information, including a bank card attached to the account. I have a verified premier account and have made several transactions and held alot of money in the account. I have NO complaints to my account, and no history of any problems on my account, yet they are demanding I give them a copy of my photo ID or they will render my account useless. Just for the fact they make this demand they also won't allow me to close my own account. So much for freedom huh PayPal?

So not only is PayPal legally not allowed to demand my photo id since the services I require do not need it, but the intial spark which caused all this was the application for the debit card, which I explained I do not want.

I wasn't able to get any where with this horrible company and their horrible "support" so I decided to just send my money over to my bank account and find an alternative. Over the years, PayPal has just gotten worse and worse.. I have noticed it with my own accounts since I was 18 years old, as well a with family member's accounts.

So PayPal, pay attention to what country your customers are from, and grab a book or take a look at the internet regarding privacy. I have no reason to send you a copy of my photo ID, no way to do so, and will not do it. You legally can't limit my account because of it and can't demand that I supply it to you. So I can easily take my customers with another payment method (I know that one person or a few people won't effect your company really.. but over time maybe by some wonderful chance you will take a huge hit in your customer count because of all the complaints from your horrible service and unfair demands on users). So I don't care if you don't want to close my account, I just won't use it anymore. This whole thing is rediculous.

Now, I know that some paypal employee will come on here with their copy and pasted response to my problem which will get me no where. Some kind of pasted reply about how "all you need to do is supply xx, and your account will be fine." Well the truth is I don't care. I only hope that this stays on the forum for all people to see yet another person who PayPal has imposed it's unfair demands on.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

I_hate_this_co
Contributor
Contributor

I wholeheartedly agree with your rant!

Pay-not so much my-Palthinks that they are a bank and can trump everything with the Patriot Act.  Not true.  When is the last time that Western Union asked for all of this information?  A fake photo ID-in person-was all that was needed to send money.  And they this company wants a COPY of your ID?

My recent experiance has put the icing on the cake for me.  I ordered some parts for may mother-in-law's car last week.  Then this week, I had to order parts for my car from the same company.  No problem, right?  Orders placed from the same IP address, shipped to my home, and-my mistake-both used the "New" feature of paying 14 days later since that was made my default payment method by Pay-not so much my-Pal.  Now my account is STILL "on hold" two days later, even though I already found a land-line phone to use and call it my work number and provided them with what I was required.  Who has land-lines anymore?

I understand that Pay-not so much my-Pal is trying to provide a high level of security.  However, ALL of this can be circumvented.  It just confirms the reasons to go off grid with burn phones and burn debit cards.  All of this "Secure" information that they're keeping about you cannot and will not ever be secure when attached to the internet.

Login to Me Too

sneak310
Contributor
Contributor

a guy helped me today long story short he was more polite..

still don't like paypal for their horrible attitudes generally and this nazi policy.

He was helpful and all and I was going to post his name but when he said he needs to transfer me to another Dpt. because questions are getting into debit card area he didn't say please hold or anything like that.. he just transferred me suddenly. So yeah..

that's pretty much paypal's "customer service" in a nutshell.

I will definitely find an alternative to paypal since I believe in the Constitution and I'm a U.S. citizen and not a citizen of a facist society.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.