Unauthorised payment to Skype - email advice went to Junk

dlsxx
New Community Member

Hi

Has this happened to anyone else?  Whilst I clicked on the resolution page opened a case and got an immediate refund I am concerned that I often don't check junk mail so could have missed this payment which was not insubstantial. Further, how can the payment have been made without my authorisation?  Even though it was opened as a case in Paypal it has no record of the case in my file which I find a bit weird because its like it never happened

The payment occurred literally within 1 minute of a CD purchase from Amazon and signing up to their version of the cloud.  Could there be a link or am I ptting 2 and 2 together and getting 5?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

dlsxx
New Community Member

I am replying to myself!  I feel very foolish.  Ive been scammed - just spent last 25 mins canceling bank cards, changing paypal details etc.  In fact probably going to cancel account!

Login to Me Too

ihunter3
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for putting your experience online. I've just received a very similar e-mail which looked far more convincing than your standard spam and made me genuinely wonder.

It said I've made a payment of £42.98 to skype for a three month subscription (not true).

When I checked other PayPal e-mails it is quite clearly not from PayPal but it was a v good attempt and wasn't obvious.

For anyone wondering:

In my circumstance, the real PayPal e-mails are from 'PayPal' not 'Pay Pal'. The e-mail will be from service at paypal (not support095 at outlook) and the real PayPal also included my name, details and at the bottom of the e-mail has a section on copyright and their company.

I hope this doesn't become too much of a nightmare for anyone else. I'm not clicking any links on the e-mail but will just mark it as spam. All the best!

Login to Me Too

Louise362007
Hi have just received a email from paypal saying that my account has been debited £38.00 for Skype but I have not authorised this I contacted Skype via email but came back as not know address I would like to know whether my bank account is going to debited this amount Please help as I never authorised this payment Regards Louise
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

see your other thread.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ihunter3
Contributor
Contributor

Also - the spam e-mail I received wasn't following any immediate purchase.  I think sometimes people get my e-mail address from online CV websites as I started to receive considerable more spam when I joined a few of these (although manageable).

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there ihunter3 & dlsxx, 

Thanks for sharing your experience, any suspicious emails can be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com and we can review further.

Here are some additional security tips from our Help Centre:

https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/security/general-understandphishing 

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

kerryflitter
New Community Member

Mine wasn't an email, it was on a bank statement! Only £10, but it had nothing to do with me . . . . 

How can I stop this happening?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.