TV Purchase Possible Scam

aidant799
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I purchased a TV very hastly Yesterday Evening 30th November at 11:30pm as the price was incredibly good. After placing the transaction I did a little research into the seller. Turns out seller is new with no recorded history of buying or selling, I even googled their email and no data trail on that either. His location was Bristol but noticed after that the product location was overseas. The payment name though english on the eBay account is infact Mandarin on Paypal. This has to be pointing at a SCAM.

I contacted eBay of whom I purchased the TV and and they just advised me to speak to Paypal cust service as the payment itself is still sitting at unclaimed.

Will I be able to just cancel this transaction or do I have to wait to see what the seller does, as to whether he claims the money? 

Surely in the interest in the posibillity of there a crime taking place Paypal would just cancel this seller or give them 2-3 days to reply.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@aidant799

If they are new then they often have to ''claim'' the first payment.

Also they are allowed to be in the UK and sell items from another country as long as they clearly state the items location on the auction.

A lot of Chinese sellers have a UK outlet as well so i don't think you can call someone a scammer without further proof.

All you can do is wait for the payment to complete and if it does not then it will time out at 30 days if there is no cancel option.

Then if you don't get your item OR the item arrives and is misdescribed you can file a dispute.

But its always best to read an auction thoroughly especially location of item before bidding.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.