Gumtree scam to watch out for from Justina Simon

ABEE
New Community Member
Great!please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location. Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now? Awaiting your reply soon...
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Stables555
New Community Member

I have just had 2 emails from this "Jus***n sI**N" using exactly the same words. My wife smelt a rat, so I Googled "Just*** Si**n" and the 1st hit was this. Thanks to PayPal community I avoided becoming a victim of this scammer. Many thanks!

Login to Me Too

Stables555
New Community Member

I have just had 2 emails from this "Jus**** Si**n" using exactly the same words. My wife smelt a rat, so I Googled "Jus**** Si**n" and the 1st hit was this. Thanks to PayPal community I avoided becoming a victim of this scammer. Many thanks!

Login to Me Too

RichH1
New Community Member
I've just had this exact response 2 minutes ago
Login to Me Too

Varenuha
New Community Member

Had a very similar letter:

Great! please consider it sold and please cancel every other appointment regarding it as I am willing to pay your full asking price because I need to buy it for my cousin as a gift, I have read through the advert and I'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.
I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal. 
Where is the pick up location so that I can inform the courier agent about it now?
Login to Me Too

mjpieters
Contributor
Contributor

I had the joy of having two separate "people" try to use this form letter on me, named jennifer Annie and Sharon McCledon.

I have a cargo bike listed on Gumtree. The pattern is:

• Receive an SMS, in my case from numbers +44 7418 337315 and +44 7451 227809, with different texts: Hi is the Bike still Available for sale? Pls msg jenniferannie007(AT)gmail.com and Hi, if the bike is still for sale, pls msg sharonshaayluv (at) gmail. com asap. The latter messaged again (after I emailed them already!) with Hi, if the bike is still for sale, pls msg sharonshayluv (at) gmail. com asap
  • I emailed both saying that yes, it is still for sale, using copy-and-pasting so the emails were sent a few seconds apart.
  • I got two responses back, with the same amount of seconds between them as the outgoing emails. These are almost certainly automated.

The messages were closely matched. I was already on the look-out for scammers, but this way these two were trivial to spot:

"Jennifer" at least customised the message to mention Gumtree:

Great!please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my son and i am ready to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location .
Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email,Phone Number and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Awaiting your reply soon...

For comparison, "Sharon" wrote

Please consider it sold and take the ads down. I am interested in buying it today as a gift for someone and am ready to pay your full asking price . i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me fast. Sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my disabilities,i lost my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location do the delivery .Regarding the payment, i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction. kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can make payment and inform the courier agent about it now.
Awaiting your reply soon
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.