Bike Sale Scam

Today i recieved an emai regarding my motorbike i have for sale on Gumtree. Alarm bells were ring from the outset as he stated that he needs me to be honest with him about condition as hes currently stationed in the army and wont be able to organise a test ride. Its a gift for his brother. Who parts with 6K without looking or atleast a phone call? He requested further pictures and basic info like why am i selling it, so i replied in full but did not give any liscence plate details or adress. The email had sent but the photos didnt upload as quick as the text, and before the pics could send he replied saying he would like to purchace the bike for 6K and to send him a money request via paypal. At this point i was quite excited as i have another bike lined up and i need the money from this sale to get it... So i rang this so called Maj. Simon Doyle and his english was broken, he was very awkward and not forthcoming with normal conversation. I told him that i have friends in wales close to the barracks hes supposedly stationed and ill organise a drop off to save money on a courier and he insisted that he gets it collected at my convienece. I have since cancelled the request after reading these posts and hope nothing will effect me but i thought i would post just incase this is scam. Ive researched this guys name and the first liunk was the brittish arm website with a photo of a white middle aged gentleman with biography. If it was that easy for me to find him how easy is it  for a scam artist to steal his identity. I could be completly wrong but this is to much of a coincidence and reading everyone elses thread its almost word to word. The only real thing that is different is he answered the phone, hasnt yet asked for adress, nothing about western union and has chosen a location in england. Like ive said the request has been canceled so hopefully thats the end of that. Hope this helps anyone that is experiencing this and hopefully by naming and shaming him, itll stop him from doing this again

MAJ. SIMON DOYLE is the name that was given.

Cheers for reading 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Johno1985
New Community Member

Hi,

I can see this post is a little old now but i just wanted to say thanks for posting as this has just happened to me- to the letter! Glad I did some research before going through with the sale!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.