Fraud Email

MBNess

I have received an email in the past asking me to confirm a payment that I have never made...obviously a scam. But today I received and email saying that I automatically paid Siber Systems almost $300 for an automatic renewal of RoboForm Everywhere subscription. I don't even know what that is!!! It even looks like a legit email from PayPal! When I logged into my PayPal account on the computer the payment is not there. I think PayPal may need to look into its security a little better.  If someone who didn't recognize that this may be a scam and clicked on the links right from the email, they could be out a lot of money or get a virus on their computer/phone. 

Just wondering if anyone else is getting these too.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

NatalyaSilcott
Contributor
Contributor

I had this very problem just this morning. I received a valid looking email that I clicked on, only to be asked for my username and password on a (fake) website that looked very similar to Paypal's. Paypal needs to up their security. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NatalyaSilcott

Thats the whole point, it has NOTHING to do with Paypal as the scammers are not using Paypals website at all.

They sound out maybe thousands of FAKE emails per year to any email addresses they can lay their hands on and 'some' of those emails will be attached to Paypal accounts so that is when the scam works as folks 'think' they are from Paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

NatalyaSilcott
Contributor
Contributor

I was so glad that I caught on quickly and was not duped! Does Paypal have 2-factor verification or are the scammers using that as well? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NatalyaSilcott

The scammers ARE NOT using Paypal at all.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

NatalyaSilcott
Contributor
Contributor

I know. But the website I saw this morning could have passed for Paypal; it was an exact replica! 

Is there any way for me to have 2-factor authentication when logging into Paypal? 

Login to Me Too

SteveH07

I have had several emails stating the thing. This requires to be looked at as a matter of urgency by Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SteveH07

As the scammers ARE NOT using Paypal then what can paypal do about it?

The emails are anonymous or hijacked by scammers working out of an internet cafe in Africa.

Been ongoing for at least 20 years and scams involve all companies BUT if they are not using that companies website then they can't do anything about it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Donna

Hello SteveH07,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away. Even if it was placed in your pending balance, you’ll see this.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.