eBay To Ask Users to Change Their Passwords, No Evidence PayPal Customer Information Accessed or Compromised

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Please be advised eBay Inc. is asking eBay users to change their passwords because of a cyberattack that compromised a database containing encrypted passwords and other non-financial data.

After extensive forensic research there is no evidence of unauthorized access to PayPal customer personal or financial information. PayPal customer and financial data is encrypted and stored separately, and PayPal never shares financial information with merchants, including eBay.

In addition to asking users to change their eBay password, eBay encourages any eBay user who utilizes the same password on other sites to change those passwords, too.

For information on next steps and how to reset your password for eBay users, please visit www.ebay.com/reset.

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Jayster1122
Contributor
Contributor

In light of recent events, (eBay may have been hacked apparently)

I've become paranoid, do you think I should remove my bank account from my PayPal account?

Will removing cause anything to change, will I still be allowed to buy anything?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Jayster1122 and @SallyShears 

PayPal account holder information remains secure. As a precaution, eBay is asking all customers to reset passwords. https://blog.ebay.com/ebay-inc-ask-ebay-users-change-passwords/

- Frank

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

SallyShears
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Frank wrote:

Hi @Jayster1122 and @SallyShears 

PayPal account holder information remains secure. 

- Frank

Thanks, Frank, for the replies. I was initially concerned because it was in the news, but not yet visible on eBay/PayPal.

Yes, PayPal data was not exposed. And, the password reminders are helpful (Change PW, use a good PW, don't use same PW on other sites).  I will add:  Use a password manager program to keep track of all these.

So, in the eBay breech, they got name, address, phone, email, and date-of-birth. That's a danger for all of us. Frank, is this kind of information encrypted at PayPal?  or in clear text, as it was at eBay?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

So, in the eBay breech, they got name, address, phone, email, and date-of-birth. That's a danger for all of us. Frank, is this kind of information encrypted at PayPal?  or in clear text, as it was at eBay?

@SallyShears ,

Good question! Yes, PayPal customer and financial information is encrypted and stored separately by PayPal.

Thanks,

Frank

Login to Me Too

SallyShears
Contributor
Contributor

@SallyShears ,

Good question! Yes, PayPal customer and financial information is encrypted and stored separately by PayPal.

Thanks,

Frank

Thanks. Happy to know.

Login to Me Too

SallyShears
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for information on the eBay security breach in the news today.  Time to reset passwords?

Login to Me Too

Lior
Contributor
Contributor

We don't have to wait for another security breach to get things happen!

PayPal and eBay, please implement Google's Authenticator as 2FA solution ASAP!

Facebook, LinkedIn, Google and many others have already started using it!

Luckily you're the only website that stores my credit-card information, but unfortunately you're the only website that makes me feel unsecured about it!

Two factor authentication should be considered a minimum security measure for a financial website!

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Frank
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Lior

Thanks for this feedback.  I agree 2FA is extremely important these days and I use it myself on as many websites as I can.

PayPal has 2FA available as well.  I have more information on how to use it here:

PayPal Security Key

There's a mobile app version of it too. 🙂

Thanks,

Frank

Login to Me Too

Lior
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply @PayPal_Frank 

I am actually aware of the current options, but like I mentioned, neither is intuitive to use. And I'm pretty sure I cannot use any of them from where I live.

As for the mobile-app, are you sure it's available outside of the US? is it free to use?

Thanks,

Lior

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.