where is the currency conversion option?

giantbill
Contributor
Contributor

I just payed for a merchantise, which is listed as $USD. I configured the payment by "AMAZON VISA CANADA".

I setup USD as primary currency and assume that paypal will charge USD against this credit card.

However paypal still charged me as CAD and do the currency conversion for me. I see lots in community that mentioned

there is currency conversion option you can use. But I can not find this "currency conversion option".

Can someone help?

What I want to do is: when I buy usd charged items, I need  paypal to charge USD against my "amazon visa canada"

credit card.

thank you.

GB

Login to Me Too
141 REPLIES 141

PriiiGarza
Contributor
Contributor

Taking advantage of the subject, I wanted to ask a question related to the topic in question ...
I have more than one card added in my account ... Two cards I can change between the two options, but there is a card that I can not change ... I needed to change to the Paypal conversion but I change and when I go to see it Already changed to the conversion of the bank ... What do I do in relation to this? Does anyone else have this problem?
I live in Brazil ... My Paypal account is Brazilian but it is a prepaid card of American origin, but Paypal accepts the card even by placing my address in Brazil ... I believe that the Card ends up charging me 3% of fees exactly because of this , Because I am using a Brazilian address and the Card has an American billing address ... So I wanted to use the Paypal conversion, which converts to USD and maybe get rid of the 3% rate.
If someone has a solution please help ... Thanks!

Login to Me Too

natbaj123
Contributor
Contributor

It happens to me as well ever since the new website. Before you had all the options at the glance, now it's for idiots just clicking next, next, next...

Unfortunately, I didn't notice it recently until a bigger transaction. I lost 140 euros on 1200 sent just because of preferences I can't change!

For paying online I use an account in EUR. I take euros, sometimes my local currency, convert in the bank and pay in the currency I need, mostly euros.

However, there are no options I can find to make a default payment currency. As I'm from Croatia (and can't change that, either) Paypal automatically converts my payments to HRK, then vice versa to EUR, which results in abnormal loss, as said, over 10%.

I'm glad fees have been lowered inside EU, but for now I won't do any transactions, simply can't.

Any help appreciated, especially from the paypal staff, which seems to be impossible to reach.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

we can hold multiple currencies in our paypal account,like I can hold US $ and Swiss Franc,when someone pays me in Swiss Franc,i keep them as Swiss Franc in my PAYPAL account.

But I am not sure what happens if I link a Swiss Franc bank account to my Paypal account,would any transfer in Swiss Franc be kept in my paypal account as Swiss franc?or would it be converted to US dollars?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In some countries, you can only add domestic bank (like for US PayPal) therefore you would have to convert to local currency to withdraw and link your foreign bank account to corresponding country PP acct, say, Swiss bank with Swiss PayPal and add US Bank to withdraw USD funds to 'on-US-soil' bank.  Any other currency balance in your Swiss account have to be converted to Swiss Francs to withdrawl to local bank.  

Users with US bank can add it to most major foreign countries' PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Badur77
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, what Paypal has inroduced is just a criminal 10% charge on all of our foreign transactions on ebay. Just don't buy anything on ebay, on other sites you are able to switch to your bank's exchange rate.

Login to Me Too

branisa
Contributor
Contributor

Have you solved the problem ?I am also from CroatianPlease send a message to 0981801787.

Login to Me Too

branisa
Contributor
Contributor

.Please send a message to 0981801787 ...I'll call you ( da vidim jeste li rjesili problem...tesko se snalazim na engleskom 🙂

Login to Me Too

ConceArielChile
Contributor
Contributor

I did all steps, but the problem remains.
Paypal decides for me and changes the choice I had chosen.

I think that is a paypal's bad trick to win more money, i.e., a fraud.
Paypal is not a confiable site never more, because, if they are doing that thing, why i will trust them again?

greetings from Chile
Login to Me Too

code99
Contributor
Contributor

**bleep**! Papyal! Could you fix this currency conversation options? Are you listening your users????!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Contact tech support:

https://www.paypal-techsupport.com/app/ask

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.