Switching my default payment method

missdogmom
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to switch the default account from which my payments are taken. After checking for a PayPal account balance, PayPal currently takes the money from my bank account, unless I manually change it to my credit card, which is what I always do. To eliminate these extra steps, I would like to set my credit card to be the default after any PayPal balance. Is there a way to do this?

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

mccreamski
New Community Member

You need to change this.  What if you are paying for something on Ebay from your mobile device.  You are not given the option to switch the method of payment in this situation - and suppose you don't have enough money in your bank account to cover the purchase?  Guess what, your bank account is overdrawn.  This is not good.  Please change the PayPal software so the end users can specify the default method of payment.

@kernowlass wrote:

Sorry you can't, after a paypal balance the bank account is always the default option.

Login to Me Too

FastEddy77
New Community Member

I HATE THIS!! It burns me up! They try to get your bank funds because there's more profit there. This is a big problem for many of us that need to direct funds each and every time. JUST got burned again! Too many headaches and not enough time to call and fix it. PLEASE PAYPAL WTH...

Login to Me Too

john7654
New Community Member

Yes, this is the one thing I hate about paypal. Why can't we choose our own default method? I like my credit card rewards, and I don't like when I forget to switch payment to my credit card. Good grief paypal, that's not user-friendly at all. Do you make more money this way? Or do you just like infuriating customers?

Login to Me Too

techexpert
Spoiler
Yes, this is the one thing I hate about paypal. Why can't we choose our own default method? I like my credit card rewards, and I don't like when I forget to switch payment to my credit card. Good grief paypal, that's not user-friendly at all. Do you make more money this way? Or do you just like infuriating customers?

Of course they make more money this way since processing a payment from a bank account for them is nearly free, but when using a credit card they'd have to pay Visa/MC/Amex the good portion of the fees they charge to the seller.. 

Login to Me Too

Grand-Papa
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler

Of course they make more money this way since processing a payment from a bank account for them is nearly free, but when using a credit card they'd have to pay Visa/MC/Amex the good portion of the fees they charge to the seller.. 

Exactly, from what I understand, they create consumer habits and then as a client you just assume you're always using your credit card with all the benefits (reward programs, fraud insurance, etc. for which Paypal pays back credit card companies) when paying with Paypal. They then randomly and suddenly switch your payment method so that you don't get the benefits and they don't have to pay the credit card fees hoping you won't notice it. They just pulled that trick on me and they charged the transaction to a bank account I never use in which there was no funds and this fn' bank charged me 145 Canadian dollars in fees for 30$ worth of Bandcamp downloads...

When calling customer service over such an issue, the agressive clerk answered I had deliberately chosen to use my bank account, while my historical clearly shows that after linking my bank accounts to Paypal, I've done more than 20 transactions always on the same Visa card. This can't be accidental in the digital age, it is clearly a business strategy to abuse client habits hoping the client never notices it (which is probably the case since most people never do any accounting audits of their personal transactions). It is also a much easier implemented startegy now with the one click buys.

Sneaky little fu$%ers. From now on I'll cancel all my Paypal links to my bank accounts and credit cards and use paypal as a last resort and relink a credit card or bank account only when absolutely necessary. I guess all these little customer abuses sum up to Dan Schulman's 17.5M yearly compensation for 2016.

Login to Me Too

RugbyFan
Contributor
Contributor

I agree 100%. When you set a preferred payment method, all  PayPal payments MUST be made on that selected method 

I just renewed my domain on Godaddy and selected pay by PayPal.  I was not even asked which account the payment should come from. It was directly taken from my bank account which I do not use. I will likely be charged a fee now.  

If everyone submits an unauthorized transaction for every payment that PayPal makes from the wrong account, they might listen. I just did as I did not authorize payment from that account, PayPal just decided that. 

I guess I have no choice but to delete all my bank accounts saved on PayPal

Login to Me Too

Grand-Papa
Contributor
Contributor

Reading all these posts makes me realize I ain't the only one who got **bleep** over this. All my paypal payments go through my Visa Dejardins card, why does Paypal randomly switched my transactiion to my Desjardins chequing account? It just cost me 145$ in fees for 3 bandcamp downloads of about 30$.

Talked to them on the phone, but the guy was telling I had chosen to put the transaction in my chequing account, which of course I never did (or did the transaction assuming I was using my Visa card). The conversation wasn't going anywhere and I'm waiting for a call back from a manager tomorrow.

Login to Me Too

stephchiha
Contributor
Contributor

I linked my bank account so that I could do a one-time transfer out of payment into my checking account.  Now my default payment method is always my bank account and I have to remember each time to switch it to my credit card.  How can I switch it back to my credit card?

Login to Me Too

Grand-Papa
Contributor
Contributor

For me it took about 20 something transactions after linking my bank account for the switch to happen. Just cost 145$ in fees for about 3  bandcamp downloads of 30$ worth).

Login to Me Too

2BLOOD
New Community Member

WHY DOES MY PAYMENT COME OUT OF MY DEBIT CARD WHEN MY CRIDET CARD IS MY PRIMARY  ??

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.