Someone registered using my email

Planky
Contributor
Contributor

I have a paypal account since 2012 using an email address akin to fake.email at gmail. Around 2am this morning I received a bunch of emails indicating someone has registered an account (welcome to paypal, confirm your email, configured OneTouch, added a credit card & phone number) using fakeemail at gmail - notice the missing fullstop. The Paypal emails signatures mention PayPal Europe - Im in Australia. 

Gmail does not pay attention to full-stops in email addresses (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/google-in-the-enterprise/quick-tip-dots-are-meaningless-in-your-gma...). So fake.email and fakeemail are the same email account (as would f.akeemail). However it means you can sign up to services such as paypal with variations of the address (effectively multiple accounts for a single email). 

How do I remove my email address from this newly created account?  As it has a phone number I do not know associated with it, I cannot reset the password/close it myself (bit of a risk anyway given its got a credit card added to it). 

Edit: paypal are idiots and don't recognise I used a fake email as an example, not a real one. Changed to make this clearer.  

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Quandary
Advisor
Advisor

You can't - not the best option but, you may want to consider changing your PayPal email address else, you're going to have to deal with customer support - changing your PayPal account email address may be easier as you can keep your old email address for everyday use and setup a new one for your PayPal Account.

Login to Me Too

Planky
Contributor
Contributor

I tried contacting them, got an auto response, then got asked to call them. I tried to, phone rings three times then cuts me off.    

The fact that they let people create and use accounts before they have confirmed their email is ridiculous and then make me have to jump through hoops to fix their problem... sigh. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.