Name change

rose1978
Contributor
Contributor

I want to change my name on my paypal account from my Nickname to my real name !

Do i really have to jump through so many hoops by having to do the following?

Contact Us - My Account Profile - Personal Name Change

To process your name change request, you need to upload or fax in additional information. Please provide the following documents:

1. A copy of a valid photo identification showing your new name (a driver's license, a passport, or any other government-issued photo identification).
  2. A copy of a recent utility bill showing your new name and address exactly as they appear on your PayPal account.
  3. A copy of a recent bank statement for the bank account listed on your PayPal account (if applicable).
  4. A copy of a recent credit card statement for the credit card listed on your PayPal account (if applicable).

To process your request efficiently, please ensure that your documents are valid and legible. As always, any personally identifying information that you submit to PayPal remains secure and is never transmitted to any third party.

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rose1978

If you were silly enough to open a legal financial account with a nickname then yes you do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rose1978
Contributor
Contributor

The account was only for donations from friends and family for birthdays and christsmas they all call me by my nicknames  ...So i am silly to ask this question with all the scams out there now? sorry for being extra careful !

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You were not being careful enough when your started your account;  you opened a fraudulent account; that was careless.

Now you want to make it a legitimate account, a secure account; you will need to comply with PayPal polices and requirements for identification.  That's being careful.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

When you started a PayPal account you used a name.  This is your official name for PayPal records even if was a fake name.  Changing your official account name is a serious matter so it will be necessary to provide official documentation to support a new name.  If you are the rightful owner and using your legal name, you should have all the supporting documents.

Login to Me Too

rose1978
Contributor
Contributor

do i have to give all 4 documents ?

1. A copy of a valid photo identification showing your new name (a driver's license, a passport, or any other government-issued photo identification).
  2. A copy of a recent utility bill showing your new name and address exactly as they appear on your PayPal account.
  3. A copy of a recent bank statement for the bank account listed on your PayPal account (if applicable).
  4. A copy of a recent credit card statement for the credit card listed on your PayPal account (if applicable).
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rose1978

If that is what they are asking for them yes.

And there is nothing about being careful in using a nickname to open a legal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rose1978
Contributor
Contributor

Think of it this..i should not be aloud to use a nickname in the first place ! I am not aloud to use a nickname when i am starting up a facebook account and yet i can do so with a big corporation like paypal ! why ?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rose1978

aloud should read allowed.

yet i can do so with a big corporation like paypal ! why ?

Maybe they presumed you had enough intelligence and were adult enough to fill in your name correctly.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rose1978
Contributor
Contributor

spelling and typo is one of the lowest forms of argument on the internet ..sadly trolls seem to love it for reassuring the world of there(their) superiority,were(where) as the rest of us are just here trying to help each other!

But if everybody was like me ALOUD to do silly things...what would you be doing? sitting outside enjoying the sun enjoying early retirement 🙂 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.